How to disable the firewall on WNDR3800

DaveIrlNew
Aspirant

How to disable the firewall on WNDR3800

How to disable Firewall on Netgear WNDR3800 router?

I keep losing internet connection on my laptop after 2 to 3 hours.  When I restart, it works fine until it loses connection again.

I am trying to TroubleShoot following instructions from BitDefender support, and they advised me to disable the firewall on the router as part of the tests.

I have searched the internet but can’t find out how to disable the firewall.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Model: WNDR3700|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: How to disable the firewall on WNDR3800

@DaveIrlNew wrote:

I am trying to TroubleShoot following instructions from BitDefender support, and they advised me to disable the firewall on the router as part of the tests.

I have searched the internet but can’t find out how to disable the firewall.

The router doesn't have the sort of firewall that you can disable. Whoever told you to try this does not know what they are talking about, or you have misinterpreted what they are saying.

There may be a firewall on your PC that you can play with.

But that is unlikely to have anything to do with your lost Internet.

Why did you ask BitDefender for help? Are you using its system in some way?

Is it only the laptop that loses the connection? If so, that is where the problem lies.

There can be various reasons for this, such as the LAN going into sleep mode.

Without more information it is hard to know what to advise.

Is this laptop on wifi? Wired? Windows? Something else?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
DaveIrlNew
Aspirant

Re: How to disable the firewall on WNDR3800

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your help.

I appreciate you considering the bigger problem of ‘why I am asking this question’.

To give some background;

1. I have two computers in the same office connected to the same router
  2. Both computers are running Windows 10 64 bit
  3. Both computers have been running Bitdefender Total Security fine for a number of years with no changes made to the computers in the past year or more
  4. About 3 weeks ago, my laptop started to drop internet connection after running for about 3 hours
  5. When I restart the laptop, it has connection to the internet… until it loses it again after about 3 hours
  6. Within BitDefender if I disable Vulnerability, Firewall, Anti Spam, Advanced Threat Defence, Safe files &  Ransomware Remediation the problem still happens
  7. However, if I completely uninstall BitDefender the problem does not occur
  8. The laptop is normally connected to the router by Wi Fi, and the desktop is connected by cable to the router.
  9. However, the error occurs on the laptop whether it is connected by Wifi or by cable to the router.

It may be completely unrelated… but Outlook 2013 on my laptop now receives a lot (approx. 40 emails) of daily spam into my Inbox folder.  This has happened suddenly… about the time the problem losing the internet started.

Another strange thing is that when the laptop loses it’s ability to access a website, I can still go the CMD Prompt and ping www.google.com successfully.

I agree exactly what you say that the problem lies with the laptop and not with the router, as the desktop computer is working fine all the time.

This has been going on approx 3 weeks now, and having to close all my documents and programs every 3 hours is very frustrating.

Any advice appreciated.  

Best Wishes,

Dave

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E