GoGlen
Guide

How to "rename" devices so they appear as what you want in "Attached Devices"

I've seen many threads - I went looking today as I'd "forgotten" how I did it a year ago, but have new devices. Thought I could easily find a link to the method, but instead had to re-hunt for how I did it a year ago. Netgear R7000 YES YOU CAN RENAME THE DEVICE NAMES that they appear with in "attached devices". I fear I cannot post a picture here, a shame. So, I'll describe it. Note, you can only rename ATTACHED AND ACTIVE devices. 1) Got to "Advanced" from the top tabs. 2) Click "Security" 3) Click "Access Control" 4) Enable "Turn on Access Control" (note, default has all "allowed") 5) Select name you want change, click the check box then "EDIT" button near top 6) Change device name, click save. 7) Repeat per device. All of mine are custom - like "LR-TVIX" (living room), "MBR-Roku", "Fire-xx" (kindle fire for daughter), "Moto-xx" (moto phones for me, wife, kids). List goes on - NAS, receiver, directv, etc. Text from "attached devices" (MAC addresses removed) Wired Devices # IP Address MAC Address Device Name 1 192.168.1.6 ------------ desktop 2 192.168.1.10 ------------ NAS 3 192.168.1.14 ------------ LR- Yamaha RX-V675 4 192.168.1.15 ------------ LR- DIRECTV-HR21 5 192.168.1.16 ------------- LR- TViX 2.4G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here) SSID IP Address MAC Address Device Name < 192.168.1.5 ------------------------- Fire-zzzz 192.168.1.12 ------------------------- Moto-wwww 1 92.168.1.20 ------------------------- MBR- Roku 5G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here) SSID IP Address MAC Address Device Name 192.168.1.2 ------------------------- Moto-xxxx 192.168.1.7 ------------------------- Moto-yyyy
Message 1 of 9
GoGlen
Guide

Re: How to "rename" devices so they appear as what you want in "Attached Devices&quot

Gah, cannot post pics, cannot get formatting to work! 3rd attempt: I've seen many threads - I went looking today as I'd "forgotten" how I did it a year ago, but have new devices. Thought I could easily find a link to the method, but instead had to re-hunt for how I did it a year ago. Netgear R7000 YES YOU CAN RENAME THE DEVICE NAMES that they appear with in "attached devices". I fear I cannot post a picture here, a shame. So, I'll describe it. Note, you can only rename ATTACHED AND ACTIVE devices. 1) Got to "Advanced" from the top tabs. 2) Click "Security" 3) Click "Access Control" 4) Enable "Turn on Access Control" (note, default has all "allowed") 5) Select name you want change, click the check box then "EDIT" button near top 6) Change device name, click save. 7) Repeat per device. All of mine are custom - like "LR-TVIX" (living room), "MBR-Roku", "Fire-xx" (kindle fire for daughter), "Moto-xx" (moto phones for me, wife, kids). List goes on - NAS, receiver, directv, etc. Text from "attached devices" (MAC addresses removed) Wired Devices # IP Address MAC Address Device Name 1 192.168.1.6 ------------ desktop 2 192.168.1.10 ------------ NAS 3 192.168.1.14 ------------ LR- Yamaha RX-V675 4 192.168.1.15 ------------ LR- DIRECTV-HR21 5 192.168.1.16 ------------- LR- TViX 2.4G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here) SSID IP Address MAC Address Device Name < 192.168.1.5 ------------------------- Fire-zzzz 192.168.1.12 ------------------------- Moto-wwww 1 92.168.1.20 ------------------------- MBR- Roku 5G Wireless Devices (Wireless intruders also show up here) SSID IP Address MAC Address Device Name 192.168.1.2 ------------------------- Moto-xxxx 192.168.1.7 ------------------------- Moto-yyyy
Message 2 of 9
GoGlen
Guide

Re: How to "rename" devices so they appear as what you want in "Attached Devices&

I give up. This message board software is pathetic. Hopefully somebody knows how to clean that up. Uploaded screenshot to my website of end result - http://www.goglen.com/post/netgear_devices.jpg
Message 3 of 9

Re: How to "rename" devices so they appear as what you want in "Attached Devices&

I don't know what you are using to write here, but it looks like a mess.

No paragraphs or useful formatting. There is even a Numbered list button in the Rich Text editor.

It is very easy to add a picture. Just click the Insert/edit image and follow the instructions. I do it often.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 9
GoGlen
Guide

My older Firefox doesn't show those options (need to use this version for work)...
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@GoGlen wrote:
My older Firefox doesn't show those options (need to use this version for work)...

I suspect you just aren't looking in the right place.  I've circled the control for insert image.  Hover your mouse over the others, if you aren't clear what they do.

insert-image.png

Message 6 of 9
GoGlen
Guide

Nope, none of those icons on my screen.  I'm using Firefox 43.

Launched with Chrome - sure enough, I see the formatting.  Mea Culpa.

Message 7 of 9
GoGlen
Guide

I've seen many threads - I went looking today as I'd "forgotten" how I did it a year ago, but have new devices. Thought I could easily find a link to the method, but instead had to re-hunt for how I did it a year ago. Netgear R7000 YES YOU CAN RENAME THE DEVICE NAMES that they appear with in "attached devices".

Note, you can only rename ATTACHED AND ACTIVE devices.

1) Got to "Advanced" from the top tabs.

2) Click "Security"

3) Click "Access Control"

4) Enable "Turn on Access Control" (note, default has all "allowed")

5) Select name you want change, click the check box then "EDIT" button near top

6) Change device name, click save.

7) Repeat per device.

All of mine are custom - like "LR-TVIX" (living room), "MBR-Roku", "Fire-xx" (kindle fire for daughter), "Moto-xx" (moto phones for me, wife, kids). List goes on - NAS, receiver, directv, etc. Text from "attached devices" (MAC addresses removed) netgear_devices.jpg

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Nice tip, thx for posting it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements