How to set up the 5 GHz band??

maxell505
Aspirant

How to set up the 5 GHz band??

Hi everyone. I just got this router and the computer I have it connected to and have the Netgear Genie installed on is hardwired to the router and does not even have a wifi card. I am going to use this router to connect my phone and my laptop. I want to know how to activate the 5 GHz band? My friend has an older model of this router and he has the option to get on the 2.4 GHz connection or the 5 GHz connection. Please help. Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
covillen1
Apprentice

Re: How to set up the 5 GHz band??

Hey maxell505,

before I can help you what router do you have? ( Model # )
Message 2 of 7
maxell505
Aspirant

I have a Netgear R6250 Dual Band AC router
Message 3 of 7
covillen1
Apprentice

Try logging into the router by using 192.168.1.1 \

Under the basic tab you should see some option. click on wireless and you should see your 2.5 and 5 network. rename them some different from each other so you can tell them apart. click apply and look for your network. they should pop up. If not unplug the router for 20 sec and plug back in. also make sure you late the latest firmware

here is a link
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6250.aspx#tab-suppor

let me know if this helps 🙂
Message 4 of 7
maxell505
Aspirant

covillen,

Wow thank you. You are a miracle worker. It worked. The name was already different but the passphrase was the default one that came with the router. I just changed the passphrase up and applied it and it worked! Thank you so much sir. I had one more question though. The computer that I hardwired to the router is the one I installed Netgear Genie on. That computer does not have wifi so I am forced to keep the router near it so I can hardwire it. Is it possible for me to install netgear genie on my laptop that I use mainly and manage my whole network from here instead of having netgear genie on that computer. Like can I take the program off of that computer that is hardwired to the router and put netgear genie on my laptop?
Message 5 of 7
covillen1
Apprentice

Hey maxell505,

Your welcome! I'm glad I could help. And to answer your next question.......

You sure can! just download the program onto the laptop. Click on the link below and click the icon that fits you. In your case it would be PC. Follow the instruction and there you go. I don't think you have to uninstall the program from the other computer that's hardwired into the router but its up to you.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6250.aspx#tab-genieapp
Message 6 of 7
maxell505
Aspirant

Ok thank you so much!
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E