How to setup a 3700v2 as an AP to a 3700v4

LVogt
Aspirant

How to setup a 3700v2 as an AP to a 3700v4

I just bought a refurbished WNDR3700v4:  (v1.0.2.78)... 

for my main router to which I ethernet my computers and broadcast 2.4 & 5ghz wifi.  
I’m getting outstanding speed via ethernet and OK wifi.  

I also have a WNDR3700v2 (v1.0.1.14) which, when I recently updated the firmware, reverted to the Wizard interface instead of the much better Genie.   (I wish I could get the Genie back - Do I rub it three times?)   

From my new v4 router; I want to wire the other router (v2) for my entertainment devices and a second wifi source with the same SSIDs. 

This is pretty new to me, so… What is the process and the specific settings for each router? I’ve looked but haven’t found my particular setup. 

The main router (v4) is 192.168.1.1 as usual - Dynamic IP & DNS, - broadcasting SSIDs - WPA2 - QoS set for multi-media. 

I appreciate the help. Thank you. 
Message 1 of 4
doraemon
Prodigy

Re: How to setup a 3700v2 as an AP to a 3700v4

not sure though if you have these settings on your WNDR3700v2 (page 75) Wireless Repeating Function (WDS)

if not, perhaps swap their roles? 

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 4
LVogt
Aspirant

No. The firmware update eliminated the Genie and that functionality. The v4 has been much faster which is good for my work computers. The TV suff just has to be fast enough. I did manage to get this setup to function but I'm not sure it's optimal yet. 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@LVogt Due to the wireless vulnerability, Netgear eliminated the wireless repeating feature on latest firmware upgrades.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements