Highlighted
Aspirant

How to setup cascaded AC1450 routers?

I want to cascade two routers in LAN-LAN setup.  The primary router will be the DHCP server.  Do I need to disable the NAT on the second router as well?  Where do I go to disable it?

Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Re: How to setup cascaded AC1450 routers?

Can you explain why you want to do this?

It's not possible to disable NAT on most Netgear routers, but check the settings on your model.

If the primary router is a Netgear, then you will encounter a showstopper.  It will perform NAT only for its own LAN segment.  It will not perform NAT for the secondary LAN.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted

@TheEther wrote:

Can you explain why you want to do this?

I wondered that too.

I use one of these to expand my network:

Ethernet Switches | Network Hubs & Bridges | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have cascaded a router with a Netgear WNDR3400 V2 primary router without a problem before.  I am just wondering why the Netgears have no way to disable the NAT.  I'm guessing that once DHCP server is turned off it does the same for the NAT.  With Linksys routers there are separate settings for DHCP and NAT.

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

After reading this it would appear that since I've cascaded the routers LAN-LAN the second router doesn't do any NAT since nothing is going out through its WAN port.  The primary router does since the WAN port is connected to the modem.

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

It wasn't obvious that you were connecting the second router via its LAN port to the first router.  In this case, you are correct that the second router won't perform NAT because traffic doesn't transit the WAN port.  

It's possible that disabling the DHCP server will disable NAT but I believe it does not.  If you were to, instead, connect the second router via its WAN port to the primary router and set up devices behind the second router to use static IP addresses then I suspect traffic would still be NAT'ed.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements