× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to use WNR2000 as an access point

moosehead
Aspirant

Re: How to use WNR2000 as an access point

ok, am now able to access router. must not have hit reply after changing ip.

Still can get the access point page to work.

Router page show no internet connection when it obviously works:
MAC Address ******************
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Connection DHCP
IP Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Domain Name Server 0.0.0.0

Is this normal?

Finally getting my 30mb speed upstairs.
Message 26 of 40
coolpontiac
Novice

I have also followed JM's instructions but can NOT access the wnr2000 that has been configured as the AP.
I did change its IP address to be outside the dhcp range of the main router/gateway HOWEVER... after i do that , I cannot point my webbrowser to it (usiing the new IP addr) and log into it to change the channel,etc. I have tried both wired and wireless.

what am i doing wrong?
Message 27 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

MAke sure commected LAN to LAN and not using Internet port /WAN of WNR2000
Message 28 of 40
coolpontiac
Novice

yes, i have a hardwired connection between LAN ports of both devices.
i have followed the instructions that you posted for setting up the 2nd device to be an AP
1. i gave it a static ip address of 192.168.1.100, i disabled dhcp
2. i set up the main router to used address space xxx.2 thru 99

now i simply want to access the UI of the AP but i cant seem to get it. I try to point my browser to 192.168.1.100 but it doesnt find it and it cant ping it.

I have also tried have tried cable from pc to the lan port of the AP but cant get inside the AP ( I want to be able to change the channel and/or the ssid)

Q1 what am i doing wrong?

Q2 - on my main router (ASUS RT-AC66u), there is a feature called 'network map' where you can see all the clients that are connected. I do not see the AP in the list. should this show up as a client with the static ip address of 192.168.1.100?

Q3: can i plug more devices into the other 3 lan ports of the AP. will they get a IP address assigned by the main router?

thanks!
Message 29 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Looks all fine to me.

it is strange that it does not point it.

now i simply want to access the UI of the AP but i cant seem to get it. I try to point my browser to 192.168.1.100 but it doesnt find it and it cant ping it.

Is this before you plug to existing network? If so you will need to set static IP on PC just with pc and AP when configuring after disable DHCP.

Otherwise if you have correct lan subnet to your asus then you should able to reach it.

I have used wnr2000 as AP and had no issues in the past
Message 30 of 40
coolpontiac
Novice

thanks June... I think I am almost there...

Q...in my wnr2000 AP device.. there is a section under basic settings where I can selete "INTERNET IP ADDRESS" to be dynamic or static BUT there is also a section under Advanced LAN setup where I can set an IP address

what is the diff between setting a static ip address under basic vs setting a LAN ip address in advanced.???

also.. do i need to get the gateway IP address to be the IP address of my main router , or leave it all 0's
Message 31 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You do not use basic setting ... ignore it.

what is the diff between setting a static ip address under basic vs setting a LAN ip address in advanced.

Under LAN setup you specific the router device IP. basic setting for WAN so ignore it
Message 32 of 40
coolpontiac
Novice

great it works now! thanks.
2 main take aways i think...

1. you dont use or change the wan settings of the AP device , just the LAN IP address
2. you need to remember to give your laptop a static ip address if you want to connect it to the AP device after you disabled dhcp
Message 33 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds great. Enjoy
Message 34 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

coolpontiac wrote:
2. you need to remember to give your laptop a static ip address if you want to connect it to the AP device after you disabled dhcp

Not if there's still a DHCP server on the LAN and the AP has a LAN IP address, the laptop with a DHCP address will be on the same network and so will be able to reach the AP.
Message 35 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I think it meant during the initial setup to access back in after disable dhcp and saved uou loose the connection before adding to existing network
Message 36 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

If you go about it in the right sequence, there’s no reason to set a static IP for the computer. For the initial setup the PC gets its IP from the router (soon to be AP), and once the router is configured as an AP and connected to the LAN, the PC then gets its new IP from the LAN.
Message 37 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

No. If you disable DHCP and saved, for most people would expect to get back in the GUI which does not

Yes , if you ignore after saved and immediately you plug to existing network but most would wait because you message rebooting ...
Message 38 of 40
Anderhan
Aspirant

That's all? It is truly sad A company this big can't come up with an easier solution before they release a product.
Message 39 of 40
StephenB
Guru

This is a long-dead thread (back to July 2014).  No need to resurrect it, so I am locking it.

Current Netgear routers have a built-in AP mode.

Message 40 of 40
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7