Highlighted
Follower

I Read the Box...Fell for the Advertising

I read the box carefully, every claim reached my ears. I was so happy to think I could connect my printer via USB add a storage device and still have 4 ports to accommodate my ever expanding streaming needs. I bought it hook line and sinker, the extended range, ultra fast speeds, easy install and the iphone/ipad printing without Fingerprint got me almost dizzy as I ran to the counter to shell out the $150. Took it home, unpacked it, set it up as instructed then experienced the same feeling I get when I have eaten way too much sugar. The wireless part worked, and it's a decent signal however no more so than the one I replaced. The printer won't print via USB and after over 3 hours (virtually) in the Phillipines (location of my afternoon tech session) I was told to take it back and get a new one. Argh I hate the the ad agency that painted the box so nice and put that perfectly lit picture of the router on it... I hope you have more success than I'm having.
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted

Re: I Read the Box...Fell for the Advertising

If you needed to get this off your chest in the form of a semi-rant... we all feel for you. Sorry man... But I did enjoy your description of the sugar high feeling we've all had only to have the floor drop out from under us after we've brought our treasure back home. :eek: My experience was different. Smiley Very Happy I even bought a second 4500. However, my storage and printing needs are handled by a dedicated NAS and network printer. Like you, I never found a reliable USB printing solution regardless of the brand of router I chose. If you want us to try and help, post again with more info about your hardware. Either way, hope your weekend gets better. :cool:
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

We all know why the usb printer and storage doesn't meet expectations is due to saving a buck. That's it nothing else. Leave your storage needs to a Nas and bye a cheap network printer. Nothing to date is worth a plugged nickel. Who the heck wants to spend all the time and effort into trying to make this cheap junk work. By a NAS and a network printer then go enjoy life.
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Novice

I bought a wireless " dirt cheap" Hp printer and it works PERFECT with the 4500

I have a 5 Bay Qnap Nas that runs PERFECT with the 4500

I have my Sager wireless "N" laptop running PERFECT with the 4500

I have an Asus Transformer Prime running PERFECT with the 4500

I have my Samsung Galaxy 2 s running PERFECT with the 4500

the second 4500 I own

has the gf's IPAD...Iphone 4

has the step son's IPAD...Iphone 4.....and Dell wireless laptop "N"

guess what...they all run PERFECT

more than happy with the 2 units

Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The USB option is the weak link as it is with most netgear routers to date. They rarely live up to advertised expectations unless you enjoy rebooting your router over and over and over and over and over.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements