Highlighted
Novice

I am on firmware 1.0.1.18 do I upgrade firmware?

Just wanted to gauge feedback from those of you more in the know of Netgear firmware as I am not.

I have XBOX360 x2, PS3, iPOD Touch 4, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S III, Roku, Vizio Co-Star, Windows 7 laptop, Windows XP wireless desktop all hooked up to my wireless network.

Do mostly ALOT of gaming and some movie streaming (IE. Netflix, Amazon, VuDu, laptop to whatever via PLEX and/or Playon.)

It has been quite some time since I have looked into firmware on this router.

So I wanted to ask here and see what kind of feedback I could get in regards to if I want to go ahead and upgrade my software to the latest and greatest or stay here?

I know I have read about people saying to go DD-WRT but from what I can tell, this particular router is not capable of it. So I supposed my only option is is the official firmware. Do I want to upgrade to it or not?

Thank you for any input, help, suggestions, advice,
Whiteice
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted

Re: I am on firmware 1.0.1.18 do I upgrade firmware?

Hi Whiteice,
I saw your other post, and Fordem's reply in regards to bandwidth monitoring.

In regards to firmware upgrade. If memory servers... 1.0.1.18 had an issue where it was spewing WoL packets... so if you have WoL enabled, you PC would wake constantly. If this feature is not enabled, you won't see this behavior.

I have 2 4500's and am extremely stable on 1.0.1.20. Performance has been rock solid. No drops or disconnects, haven't had to reboot over the last year more than one or two times. Port forwarding working, security also seems to be good. Wireless range excellent as well as bandwidth speed over wired and wireless connections.

1.0.1.36 addresses two issues. Said to improve Time Machine Back Up Speed and fix an issue with Ready Share Cloud on Mobile Devices. I don't use either of these features since I have a dedicated NAS that handles both of these items for me.

I think the general consensus would say upgrade to .20 or .36. Other have said there are some minor security issues with .36. See this post What I would do is evaluate how this might impact your use of the product. Newer isn't always best, but is sometimes necessary to gain support for new functionality or to patch or fix flaws.

If you do upgrade, download the update to your machine and perform the upgrade over a wired connection.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

shadowsports wrote:

1.0.1.36 addresses two issues. Said to improve Time Machine Back Up Speed and fix an issue with Ready Share Cloud on Mobile Devices.....................

Time Machine Backup is strictly a MAC - OS feature, correct?
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

a1pcfixer wrote:
Time Machine Backup is strictly a MAC - OS feature, correct?
Yes, Time Machine is an Apple product.
~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.64 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements