I could search these forums all day but can't be bothered!

RADDAV
Aspirant

I could search these forums all day but can't be bothered!

Q1. If it says DGND3700 in my router status page is this a V1, V2 or V3?

Q2. Bought this 2 weeks ago in PCWorld so if this is not the latest hardware why are they still selling it?

Q3. Why can't I edit the readyshare preferences of my 1TB WD external HDD when connected to the router running Max OSX Lion? All I can see is documents and the recycle bin! All folders are shared in OSX and formatted as NTFS

Q4. How do I get the Beta firmware and does it fix anything?

Q5. should I take it back and get a 3800 instead? :mad:
Message 1 of 5
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: I could search these forums all day but can't be bothered!

My immediate answer is I could reply to posts all day to help people like you but can't be bothered.

A1) If the router labelling doesn't say v2, it's v1. There is no v3. Yet? Can't say if the status page on a v2 says v2.

A2) Because EVERYBODY who sells EVERYTHING sells out of inventory of older models before they have stock and are selling newer models. Where you been?

A3) Couldn't say. I've never tried to connect to the ReadyShare SMB file system from my MBA. Since I'm not entirely clear what you are asking ("edit readyshare preferences"--what preferences? editing from where?) I will add that certain things I'd exepct to work from a PC connected to the ReadyShare serving up files do nto work. E.g., setting the hidden attribute of a folder. ReadyShare is better than nothing but not by much.

A4) I find that the private pre-release firmware versions fix lots of things but hardly everything. You get it by presenting a support case to NETGEAR Support that poses a problem they know to be fixed in one of the pre-release versions and beating on them until they are willing to offer that remedy as opposed to just telling you to do things that won't help but may make you go away so they can close the case. These will include Factory Reset and repeat installation of the generally available update. Why they have so many fixes in so many pre-release versions of firmware for so long and continue to serve up a version as the "latest" on their support sites that is so back level and so disfunctional is a question better asked of them. If you get an answer, do share.

A5) The 3800 is a different product with different features. If you need the modem, you are probably stuck. The 3700v2 sounds like it is not fundamentally different or better and is still very hard to come by in some markets--e.g., US. The 4000 sounds like a better product but is so far just vaporware and may never actualy be available. Will it really be better? Based on the DGND3700v1, I find it hard to imagine EVER buying another NETGEAR product that operates above Layer 2. I don't think they have a clue what "working" would even mean for a device operating at Layer 3 or above.
Message 2 of 5
RADDAV
Aspirant

Dick_W wrote:
My immediate answer is I could reply to posts all day to help people like you but can't be bothered.

I titled this because as usual the forum is filled with posts all going off topic or not fully answering a question, common on most forums these days!

A1) If the router labelling doesn't say v2, it's v1. There is no v3. Yet? Can't say if the status page on a v2 says v2.

It says DGND3700, nothing else! Thats all, it says that on the back of the router as well! I looked at the post for identifying the version on the box yet mine again just says DGND3700, not how they described how to identify the version in the thread! So I guess your right, its a V1

A2) Because EVERYBODY who sells EVERYTHING sells out of inventory of older models before they have stock and are selling newer models. Where you been?

I would of thought that the sell through of stock in PC world would mean the old stock didn't hang around long. My store only had two in stock anyway!

A3) Couldn't say. I've never tried to connect to the ReadyShare SMB file system from my MBA. Since I'm not entirely clear what you are asking ("edit readyshare preferences"--what preferences? editing from where?) I will add that certain things I'd exepct to work from a PC connected to the ReadyShare serving up files do nto work. E.g., setting the hidden attribute of a folder. ReadyShare is better than nothing but not by much.

In the router browser based settings on the USB advanced tab. Not sure where else I would be doing this?

A4) I find that the private pre-release firmware versions fix lots of things but hardly everything. You get it by presenting a support case to NETGEAR Support that poses a problem they know to be fixed in one of the pre-release versions and beating on them until they are willing to offer that remedy as opposed to just telling you to do things that won't help but may make you go away so they can close the case. These will include Factory Reset and repeat installation of the generally available update. Why they have so many fixes in so many pre-release versions of firmware for so long and continue to serve up a version as the "latest" on their support sites that is so back level and so disfunctional is a question better asked of them. If you get an answer, do share.

I use to think Netgear was a sound company to buy products from, maybe not!

A5) The 3800 is a different product with different features. If you need the modem, you are probably stuck. The 3700v2 sounds like it is not fundamentally different or better and is still very hard to come by in some markets--e.g., US. The 4000 sounds like a better product but is so far just vaporware and may never actualy be available. Will it really be better? Based on the DGND3700v1, I find it hard to imagine EVER buying another NETGEAR product that operates above Layer 2. I don't think they have a clue what "working" would even mean for a device operating at Layer 3 or above.

I should of waited and gone for the new 6300!
Message 3 of 5
keith_thfc
Tutor

If the DGND3700 router packaging mentions the "Netgear Genie" interface then you have the v2 model.

The v1 models don't have this which is what I suspect PC World may be selling.

I expect there are plenty of these left in stock because of the poor reviews its had from customers.
Message 4 of 5
RADDAV
Aspirant

Okay thanks, I do have the genie app working on my ipad so sounds like it a v2 then. Doesn't seem to have all the functionality it's supposed to have though! maybe I'm wrong but the traffic meter doesn't work or the guest login stuff.

Doea nyone else have a 1TB WD Mybook HDD running on this router out of interest and can you edit the sharing preferences in the web based config usb storage tab?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E