× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I have an AC2350 Router and wish to attach USB portable Hard Drives to Router to play on Roku Media

WooBear22
Aspirant

I have an AC2350 Router and wish to attach USB portable Hard Drives to Router to play on Roku Media

I have an AC2350 Router and wish to attach USB portable Hard Drives to Router to play on Roku Media.  Not sure how to set that up.  I am not computer savvy at all so step by step instructions would be appreciated.  I have portable USB drive with stored media (Movies, TV Shows, Documentaries) would like to connect to router to play on Roku Media Player.

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: I have an AC2350 Router and wish to attach USB portable Hard Drives to Router to play on Roku Me

The problem comes down to "i'm not savvy with that". 

Some roku's need a certain format to stream a downloaded movie because they don't have the CPU power to transcode. 

This isn't true of all of them but many do. So if you don't have your media in the proper format, they don't play. 

When you say "i'm not savvy with that", it makes me leary of the route you're taking. 

I'm sure we can add the drive and get it setup for you. Whether it'll work how you want is another matter. 

A better option might be for running a media platform like Plex or Emby. 

They scan the media, load photos of it, can handle transcoding if loaded on a decent enough computer, and tend to be a little smoother for home users. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/readyshare_usb_storage_access.aspx

Message 2 of 10
WooBear22
Aspirant

Re: I have an AC2350 Router and wish to attach USB portable Hard Drives to Router to play on Roku Me

All my Media files are MP4.

Message 3 of 10

@WooBear22 wrote:

I have an AC2350 Router ....

Which one? AC2350 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

One of the R7500s?

Message 4 of 10
WooBear22
Aspirant

R7500v2

Message 5 of 10
WooBear22
Aspirant

Not Working.  Plugg in usb drive and according to Netgear router login it does not know a usb device is plugged in.  White light is on usb device.

Message 6 of 10

@WooBear22 wrote:

Plugg in usb drive and according to Netgear router login it does not know a usb device is plugged in. 

Is that the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

What is this USB drive? Did you find this?

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Not complete or up to date, but it is a useful guide.

Did you read the section in the manual Share Storage Devices Attached to the Router ?

Message 7 of 10
WooBear22
Aspirant

Yes (GUI)

A 2TB drive and a 4TB drive using NTFS

Message 8 of 10
WooBear22
Aspirant

Yes I read the manual on Shared Storage Devices.

Message 9 of 10

@WooBear22 wrote:

Yes (GUI)

A 2TB drive and a 4TB drive using NTFS

Should work, albeit you don't say which brands.

Any partitions?

ReadySHARE hates those.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7