Reply

I have problems with port forwarding

SpeedCraft2704
Follower

I have problems with port forwarding

I have problems with port forwarding. I'm doing a server for a game and it doesn't work, because other people can't connect

 
 
 
 
 
Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: I have problems with port forwarding

> Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router

 

   Is that accurate?  Firmware version?

 

> I have problems with port forwarding. I'm doing a server for a game
> [...]

 

   You seem to have bigger problems providing a problem description
which contains any useful information.  The usual problems with this stuff
are:

 

   1. Wrong external IP address (different from the port-forwarding
router's WAN/Internet IP address).  (An intermediate NAT router, for
example, could cause this.  Or an ISP using carrier-grade NAT to
conserve IPv4 addresses.)

 

   Does the IP address of the WAN/Internet interface of your router
match what you're using as your public IP address from the outside
world?  ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address


   2. Bad port-forwarding rule (wrong port(s), wrong target address --
including a wandering target).

 

   I can't see your actual port-forwarding rules.  Copy+paste is your
friend.

 

   How did you ensure that your (unspecified) "a server for a game"
system always has the right IP address?  Static configuration?  Reserved
dynamic address?

 

   3. Server not listening on the port-forwarding target system.

 

   Can you access the server from a system on your LAN using the
server's LAN IP address?  If you can't access the server locally, then
there may be little chance of doing it from the outside world.

 

   If that works, then, still from a system on your LAN, try using the
router's WAN/Internet IP address.  That should verify the
port-forwarding rule(s) (and the "NAT loopback" feature of the router).


   4. External influences: ISP blocking, other firewalls, ...

 

   Seldom the problem.

 

> [...] and it doesn't work, because other people can't connect

 

   "doesn't work" or "can't" is not a useful problem description.  It
does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did
it.  As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual
results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than
vague descriptions or interpretations.

Message 2 of 3
ToddAndMargo
Aspirant

Re: I have problems with port forwarding

 

>> Model: WNR2000v5|N300 WiFi Router

> Is that accurate?
WNR3500Lv2
> Firmware version?
V1.2.0.54_50.0.94 (latest).

 

> I have problems with port forwarding. I'm doing a server for a game
> [...]


> 1. Wrong external IP address (different from the port-forwarding
> router's WAN/Internet IP address). (An intermediate NAT router, for
> example, could cause this. Or an ISP using carrier-grade NAT to
>conserve IPv4 addresses.)


> Does the IP address of the WAN/Internet interface of your router
> match what you're using as your public IP address from the outside
> world? ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP Address

No. It is something entirey different and it is not even in my ISP's domain.
I thought initially, that the isue was bad firmware in the router, but maybe
something weird is goig on at the DHCP serer end. But that does not
explain I can traceroute and namp port 53 and port 113, unless I am
actaully pinging someone else's equipment.


> 2. Bad port-forwarding rule (wrong port(s), wrong target address --
> including a wandering target).

And weird wording on Netgeqrs part.

Source port is a random high port. The destination address is single
xxxx (redacted) TCP. For privacy reasons, I am not stating the port.

> I can't see your actual port-forwarding rules. Copy+paste is your
> friend.

I am no longer remotedly logged in (go to assist). If it helps, it looks
exactly like their build in http rule, except for my port number instead
of 80.


> How did you ensure that your (unspecified) "a server for a game"
> system always has the right IP address? Static configuration? Reserved
> dynamic address?

This is not a game appliation. I deliberately am not stating the service.
When I am logged in with Go To Assist, I use a google What Is My Ip lookup.
Right now, they are on DHCP. Will move to static when they demo the service
and like it.

> 3. Server not listening on the port-forwarding target system.

The server work with any other workstation on the LAN. It is listening

> Can you access the server from a system on your LAN using the
server's LAN IP address?

Yes, I have stated that sevaral times.


> If that works, then, still from a system on your LAN, try using the
> router's WAN/Internet IP address. That should verify the
> port-forwarding rule(s) (and the "NAT loopback" feature of the router).

This service does not work that way. You have to come at it from WAN IP.

> 4. External influences: ISP blocking, other firewalls, ...
> Seldom the problem.

Maybe. I know the sys admin at the ISP. He will call me Monday

> [...] and it doesn't work, because other people can't connect


> "doesn't work" or "can't" is not a useful problem description. It
> does not say what you did. It does not say what happened when you did
> it. As usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual
> results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than
> vague descriptions or interpretations.

Actually, when I stated that I could not do a TCP traceroute or an nmap
to the port, I told you everything about it. My SYN packet dies, never
to be seen again.

I can't nmap or tcp trace route the remote admin port either. Same
symptom. I wonder if I have tripped across that "carrier-grade NAT"
you spoke of.

Thank you for the help,
-T

Model: WNR3500Lv2|N300 Wireless Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2828 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E