Re: I'm unable to use HDD attached to ReadyShare for iTunes library

cnymike
Aspirant

I'm unable to use HDD attached to ReadyShare for iTunes library

I've got a 500GB USB3 drive that has an iTunes library on it. I've attached the drive to the R6300 USB port. ReadyShare sees it and I can mount it as a Volume that shows up in the finder.

I can also open the library in the finder and play songs manually..

But when I option-launch iTunes, and am asked to locate the library I wish to open, I navigate to the shared volume and select the directory containing the library. I then get the following error and when I click OK, iTunes quits.

"The iTunes application could not be opened, An unknown error occurred (13008)

I'm lost at this point.
Message 1 of 5

I don't understand why you would want to put your ITunes folder into the netgear drive? You planning to use the drive as a media server drive to play elsewhere? like on your TV or are you going to use the drive just as a storage unit?
I wouldn't advise using it as just storage drive cause the netgear drive has a habit of deleting files, null files, having to be reindexed regularly and taking along time to index the drive.
The netgear drive should be used if your planning to use a renderer (ps3, xbox ect ect) to play either movies or music and used as a media server storage drive. If a movie gets deleted then its not such a loss as would important personal data that might be irreplaceable or purchased music.
I have my music (285 gig@45000 songs) on a 1 tarabyte external drive but don't have it hooked up to the netgear router, but I have my movies on a 2 tarabyte drive that is hooked up to the netgear router. I networked the music drive so I could access it and play music through my PS3 upstairs and not have to deal with the netgear's deleting of files nor long indexing time.
I really dislike ITunes in all aspects but once in a while I have to use it for my IPhone to swap music around, so I don't have much to say about your 13008 error other than googling "itunes unknown error 13008" and go on a fishing expedition to try to solve the error.

Message 2 of 5
cnymike
Aspirant

My intent was to have my iTunes library entirely om an e eternal drive so I can take it with me wherever I need to take it.

And yes, I wanted to attach it to my network at home so any device with iTunes would be able to access the music. Is there something wrong with that desire?

What is the issue with files getting deleted?
Message 3 of 5

When I got the 2 tara drive and had it plugged into the router, I transfered my video library and lost somewhere in the transfer 100 gigs of TV. The folder was there but it was empty. I'm not the only one to experience this if you read back in these forums.
As for ITunes..its each to their own and I was meaning no disrespect but its IMO just like the windows media player, it easily turns into a nightmare of hassle after hassle if things don't go smoothly at the first attempt.
Message 4 of 5
cnymike
Aspirant

I finally found a solution for this.

The external drive was formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

I reformatted the drive as FAT32 and now I am able to access my iTunes library without any issues from the Netgear R63000 ReadyShare volume.

Yay!
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E