× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I need more ports than my router has

eaglepi
Guide

I need more ports than my router has

I have a   NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router with Dual Band Gigabit for Amazon Echo/Alexa - AC1750 (R6400-100NAS). I am building a new home and I would like to add more ports for future use.

Which switch would be best to use with this router  ?

I have no experience with  adding a switch to a router so if there is a tutorial for the switch and this router I would appreciate the advice.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Most unmanaged switches should work fine. Just make sure to go with a gigabit device (10/100/1000). I'm not going to recommend one because I've used a bunch of different unmanaged switches from different manufacturers and I have yet to have one fail.  Most issues with unmanaged switches come from user errors or bad cables.

One thing I'd recommend if you're building a new house is that wherever you route the cables to, set up a patch panel. Its cheap/easy and just makes thing easier whenever you're changing your devices/network around.  

Message 2 of 10
eaglepi
Guide

Can you please explain   your suggestion to use patch panels? I ahve no idea what they are or how they are used

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

A patch panel is just what you terminate the ends of your ethernet cables in a single location. Cleans things up nice and allows you to label them. 

This video goes over pros/cons. He does use a rack mount but I've just wall mounted them at my place. Makes it look nice. you can usually get them for fairly cheap. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg2oGE02DJE

Message 4 of 10
eaglepi
Guide

thank you very much !

Message 5 of 10
eaglepi
Guide

Like my original post said I run out of ethernet ports on my router.  I've decided easiest and best way is just to add a switch the one I've chose is the 

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS308) - Desktop, Sturdy Metal Fanless Housing

My original thought would be that I could run an ethernet cable from my router to the switch then I would have the remaining ports on my router plus all the extra ports on the switch to plug all my wired ethernet cables into for whatever devices I need them for.  But when I look at the picture of this Switch I only see eight ports on the front   There are no inputs so I'm confused as where I would run the ethernet cable from my router into the switch so that it would power the rest of the ports on the switch?

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

One of the 8 ports is used for the input. 

Message 7 of 10
eaglepi
Guide

So just to be clear because I'm not familiar with how a switch actually works as of yet.  I would run an ethernet cable from my router to most likely port number one of the switch and then that would give me seven other Ports to use on the switch with the remaining ports on my router as well.  Is that correct?

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Thats correct.

Message 9 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] when I look at the picture of this Switch I only see eight ports
> on the front There are no inputs [...]

And, on your router, there are no outputs.

Ethernet ports are bidirectional, so none is (only) an input or an
output.  Thinking about inputs and outputs in this context is an error,
and will likely lead to confusion.

> One of the 8 ports is used for the input.

Not really.  Any of the ports on a network switch can be connected to
any LAN port on a router.  (Multiple LAN ports on a router are
effectively part of a network switch which is hidden inside the router.)

An Ethernet switch can pass messages from any of its ports to any
other of its ports.  (And in both directions.)

There's nothing special about a router LAN port in this sense.  If
you have any two devices (other than a router LAN port) connected to two
ports on a network switch, then those devices can communicate with each
other (in both directions) directly, without involving the router.

> Is that correct?

Yes.  And you don't need to think about "inputs" or "outputs" to
understand it.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7