I only want N, how do I turn off B & G?

Shearwood
Follower

I only want N, how do I turn off B & G?

Just finished installing my WNDR4500, and it appears to work well, however now I need to turn off the B & G. Where do I find that setting?
Message 1 of 9
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: I only want N, how do I turn off B & G?

To the best of my knowledge, the router will always be backwards compatible for the present time.

Should a B or G device connect, it would need to satisfy the security settings and as far as I know the overall WiFi speed will not be affected.

Remember that the speed will automatically reduce for a device on WiFi n for a number of reasons. These include the obvious signal strength, but also many WiFi n devices use single channels, so could never match the full potential of your router.
Message 2 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

correct... you will NOT able to just use N only..

N setting will do ALL 802.11 protocols.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 9
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The reason you can’t turn off B/G is because you are unable to turn off all your neighbouring networks. All devices that operate on the 2.4GHz band need to be aware of each other, that’s all clients on all networks within range of each other.

A basic function of the 2.4GHz WiFi operation is CSMA/CA where no two devices can transmit at the same time, if your network ignored all others then that process would fail. Both your network and those others would transmit simultaneously causing collisions and re-transmissions, no-one would benefit and your own network would grind to a halt. The only way you can operate in 802.11n ‘Greenfield’ mode is if there are no other B/G networks within range.
Message 4 of 9
RoseOfSharyn
Aspirant

Sorry to hijack the post, but is it at all possible to do the opposite of what the OP is asking for? Using a dual-band router, would it be possible to turn of the N signal so the router could put all focus into the G signal?
Message 5 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

RoseOfSharyn wrote:
Sorry to hijack the post, but is it at all possible to do the opposite of what the OP is asking for? Using a dual-band router, would it be possible to turn of the N signal so the router could put all focus into the G signal?

you change wireless mode to B&G mode or 54Mbps setting the router's wireless settings.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 9
RoseOfSharyn
Aspirant

Thankyou, jmizoguchi!
I've always seen your name on these forums over the years, and i'm pleased i finally get to thank you for all the times you've solved other peoples' problems that have helped me in turn, and now finally for directly helping me!

My problem is my lack of terminology knowledge, and it seems that my mode options are:
- Up to 1.5mpbs at 2.4GHz
- Up to 145mpbs at 5GHz and 54mpbs at 2.4GHZ
- Up to 300mbps at 3.4GHz
- Up to 300mbps at 5GHz and 54mpbs at 2.4GHz
Which of these should i go with?
The reason i want to solely use the G band is that my Macbook picks up the signal both stronger and faster than it does on the N band, and if this improves speed, my PS3 would be grateful for it, too!

I realise now that using the search function has dropped me in the WNDR4500 forum, when i in fact have a DGND3300v2

Apologies to the mods, i just felt there was no need to start a new thread for such a minor query, and this seemed and ideal option.
Lesson learned!
Message 7 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Up to 145mpbs at 5GHz and 54mpbs at 2.4GHZ

Up to 300mbps at 5GHz and 54mpbs at 2.4GHz

pretty obvious that 2.4Ghz will run at 54Mbps is which you wanted

all 2.4Ghz will be on 54Mbps while ONLY 5Ghz will run at N speed of 145 or 300
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 9
RoseOfSharyn
Aspirant

Thanks for another swift response.
Apologies for the double post.

As i said, i'm not particularly savvy with my connection ins-and-outs, and i've ballsed things up on more than one occasion; so please maybe consider that i'm just double checking myself before telling me which option is "pretty obvious".
I appreciate the help, but the condescending tone isn't what i'd actually come to expect from someone so well versed and well respected in the community.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements