Novice

IP address changed to 172.16.12.1

While trying to set up my 4300 and my 3400 as a access point, my ip address changed to 172.16.12.1
Trying to access the router via Firefox the ip address in it times out.
If i ping 172.16.12.1 it shows a connection.
How do I get back in to the router to change to the default ip address?

Dont know what other info to give you just ask please if you need other info

Thanks
Don
Message 1 of 5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: IP address changed to 172.16.12.1

If the router’s subnet has changed then you access the router at that IP address, but are you sure that’s the router? If you did correctly set the router as an AP, then you would have disabled its DHCP server, in which case the IP address allocated to your computer would have originated from the remaining DHCP server, which I guess would be your modem?

Assuming you have an MS Windows OS, if you go to a Command Prompt (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) and type ipconfig /all what do you see as the address allocated to your computer, and the Gateway address?

It’s possible that your router still has its default LAN IP, which would be 192.168.1.1 and if you want to access it you would need to temporarily set a static IP at the computer, e.g. 192.168.1.111 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, other details can be left blank;

http://blog.pluralsight.com/windows-7-ip-addressing

When that is done you can then try accessing the router at http://192.168.1.1

If that works then I suggest that you change the LAN subnet of the router to a 172.16.12.x ip address, but you should first adjust the DHCP pool of the DHCP server to be sure that IP address cannot be allocated to another device, e.g. set the pool rang to 172.16.12.2 to 172.16.12.99, and set the router IP to 172.16.12.100.

When that is done you can set the PCs IPv4 settings back to automatic, reboot the routers (APs) and the modem, and then you should be able to access the router at the new address i.e. http://172.16.12.100
Novice

Thanks for the reply. Got it all back. I believe the 4300 changed the IP addresses because I tried to add a 3400 as a wireless ap. not sure what I did wrong but I'm still looking at making the 4300 as the main wired/wireless ap and the 3400 as a remote wireless ap to extend my signal reach.
Message 3 of 5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m not sure of your cabling arrangement, how are you connecting the two routers (APs) to the gateway (Modem)? Could you explain in more detail please?
Virtuoso

It would be best if you can provide us detailed network setup so that we can provide suggestions and other options.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements