× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

If I restore a previous config, will it change the admin password?

rubenm
Aspirant

If I restore a previous config, will it change the admin password?

Hi,

I did some experiments and messed up my config, but I still have access to the router through the web interface. I have an old-ish backup with a stable config, and I wanted to restore it.

My problem is that I don't remember the admin password I was using when I first made that backup, as I changed it some time ago. I'm afraid that after the restore the password might revert to an older version I can't remember, and I would lose access to the router.

So here's my question: when we restore from a backup, does that change the admin password too? or is it left as is?

I realise that in the worst scenario, I could always reset to factory defaults and rebuild the config from scratch, but in that case, I might as well try to fix the config from its current state, at this point I'm not sure which of these would entail more work. Still, if I were able to restore from the backup without fear of it changing my password, that would be the best way.

Thanks!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: If I restore a previous config, will it change the admin password?

The usersname and password are nomally part of the config setup for a router so I would say the old settings would include the forgetten usersname and password the way I see it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
William10a
Master

The usersname and password are nomally part of the config setup for a router so I would say the old settings would include the forgetten usersname and password the way I see it.

Message 2 of 3
rubenm
Aspirant

Oh well. I redid it from scratch, and will ensure I renew the backup whenever I change the password from now on. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7