× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Improving WIFI Transmission on D6400

ultragranata95
Initiate

Improving WIFI Transmission on D6400

Hello, I'm experiencing some poor performance in WiFi speed with my router Netgear cascaded to my ISP fiber router.
Via ethernet I reach up to 900Mbps in download while with WiFi on 5Ghz band I can't overcome 450Mbps standing right in front my D6400.

I also analyzed the signal strength which is very good so it seems to be (I hope) some configuration issue.
The speed for the 5Ghz is correctly setted up to 1300Mbps.

There something I can do?
Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Improving WIFI Transmission on D6400

wifi isn't going to be as fast as a wired connection. 

Also, link speed isn't the same as throughput speed. there's a significant different in link speed versus actual throughput speed. 

And, many times its limited by the device you're testing on. For instance, the D6400 has a 3x3 antenna setup for 5ghz. But if your device only has an integrated 2x2 or 1x1 anteanna (which most phones/laptops are) , its not going to be as fast as its not connecting on all antennas. 

for some base testing here's a review on the R6400 which isn't quite the same as the D6400 but its similar in performance. You can see what it gets for wireless speeds for that class of device. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

wifi isn't going to be as fast as a wired connection. 

Also, link speed isn't the same as throughput speed. there's a significant different in link speed versus actual throughput speed. 

And, many times its limited by the device you're testing on. For instance, the D6400 has a 3x3 antenna setup for 5ghz. But if your device only has an integrated 2x2 or 1x1 anteanna (which most phones/laptops are) , its not going to be as fast as its not connecting on all antennas. 

for some base testing here's a review on the R6400 which isn't quite the same as the D6400 but its similar in performance. You can see what it gets for wireless speeds for that class of device. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32812-netgear-r6400-ac1750-smart-wifi-rout...

Message 2 of 3

@ultragranata95 wrote:
Hello, I'm experiencing some poor performance in WiFi speed with my router Netgear cascaded to my ISP fiber router.
Via ethernet I reach up to 900Mbps in download while with WiFi on 5Ghz band I can't overcome 450Mbps standing right in front my D6400.

The D6400 is a DSL modem/router.

DSL internet cannot do 900Mbps.

If you really do have the D6400 perhaps you are using it in router mode, in which case it will probably lose some speed in comparison with a simple router.

And as @plemans says nothing consumer grade is likely to get anywhere near wifi at 900Mbps.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7