× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Improving speed and coverage

little2late0
Aspirant

Improving speed and coverage

Cable internet with 50 mbps down and 5 mbps up. Netgear N600 wireless dual band gigibit router. Separate Motorola SURFboard cable modem. Any advice on upgrading to newer router/modem combo? Any Netgear product that will improve wifi speed or increase coverage to far ends of the house? Or am I limited by my cable internet speeds?

Jim

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Your Internet speeds will always be the ultimate limiting factor for Internet access, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade your Wi-Fi.  

What are you best and worst case speeds with your current setup?  

Is your place wired with Ethernet or are you willing run install it?

How far is the far end of the house from your router?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of combo router/modems.  Since you already have a separate modem, I would recommend one of the following, roughly in order of preference.

• Upgrade your existing router.  A router with external antennas may provide enough coverage to the far ends of the house.
  • If you have Ethernet, then add an Access Point for extra coverage.
  • Add a Powerline network along with an Access Point.  Powerline can be very hit and miss and may frequently do no better than the next option.
  • Add a range extender.  Range extenders pay a heavy performance penalty (50% of the connection back to the router).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Your Internet speeds will always be the ultimate limiting factor for Internet access, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade your Wi-Fi.  

What are you best and worst case speeds with your current setup?  

Is your place wired with Ethernet or are you willing run install it?

How far is the far end of the house from your router?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of combo router/modems.  Since you already have a separate modem, I would recommend one of the following, roughly in order of preference.

• Upgrade your existing router.  A router with external antennas may provide enough coverage to the far ends of the house.
  • If you have Ethernet, then add an Access Point for extra coverage.
  • Add a Powerline network along with an Access Point.  Powerline can be very hit and miss and may frequently do no better than the next option.
  • Add a range extender.  Range extenders pay a heavy performance penalty (50% of the connection back to the router).
Message 2 of 9
little2late0
Aspirant

Thank you for the suggestions. I was leaning toward replacing the wifi router. Do you have a suggestion as to which router would be an improvement over the WNDR3700?

Jim

Message 3 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Any of the AC class routers would be a significant upgrade but you should factor your needs and considerations.  You didn't answer my questions.  Also, what types of devices do you have and what kind of Wi-Fi capability do they have?

Message 4 of 9
little2late0
Aspirant

Internet speeds are usually right at what I'm paying for 50 mbps downloading and 5 mbps uploading. Running a relatively new Dell XPS dual processor PC. No ethernet in the house. Modem and wifi router is attached directly to the PC via ethernet cable. Modem is Motorola SURFboard Extreme cable modem. Router is Netgear WNDR3700 wireless dual bank gigibit router. Wireless devices include two Apple Ipads, two Apple iPhones, HP printer is attached via USP cable.

Message 5 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Well, the Apple devices support 802.11ac.  I'm kinda partial to the R7000.  It's an older router but a good value with decent performance and good range.   There's even a decent selection of 3rd party firmware for expanded features.  It should handle a 50 Mbps Internet connection with no problems.  It's not universally loved.  If you poke around enough on this forum, you'll find complaints.  I suggest you buy from some place with a good return/exchange policy.

Message 6 of 9
little2late0
Aspirant

Forgot to mention, there is about 60 from my office where the PC, router, modem, etc are located to the rooms on the other end of the house.

I'll do some checking into the R7000. You have an opinion on the Netgear AC1750 router?

Message 7 of 9
TheEther
Guru

The R6400?  I don't have any personal experience with it.  I'll hazard to guess that it'll perform similarly to the R7000.  It does look to be significantly cheaper.

Message 8 of 9
little2late0
Aspirant

Ended up replacing my router and modem with a Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 combo Wifi/router. It's a wonderful piece of equipment. Covers my entire house from end to end and much faster than my other equipment.

Thanks for your assistance!

Jim

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7