Internet connection keeps dropping in house

marcoball
Aspirant

Internet connection keeps dropping in house

Hello. My internet connection keeps dropping throught the house.  It seems that the problem arise from the wired connection of my pc to the router. Expecially whenever multiple internet connections/downloadings happen from my pc, the internet connetion drops trhoughtout the whole apartment. I did not have this issue with the older previous modem I was using

Most of the the other devices in the house are wireless connected to the router.

I have an asus maximus extreme XI motherboard and this board/pc is connected with an ethernet cable to the pc.

Please see below the devices connected to the router. A tivo and the pc are wired connected to the pc. The rest is wireless connected to the pc

https://ibb.co/1R1B5dY

https://ibb.co/QCbJtNp

I have 2 ethernet ports on the back of my pc and i am not sure which one of the two need to be used and i do not know which is the difference between the 2 ports on the back of my pc. Also there are several ethernet ports on the back of the router and I am not sure which ports should be used to connecting the pc and the tivo to the router.

I have spectrum cable internet connection and I am using their modem.

Thanks

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet connection keeps dropping in house

Which model modem are you using?

If you log into it, can you get a screen snip of your modem connections page? 

If you have any coax splitters, attenuators, or amplifiers in line, remove them. Sometimes these can cause issues with your coax signal. 

Firmware on your router?

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> RAXE500->
Message 2 of 8
marcoball
Aspirant

model e31t2v1

How do I get inside the modem setup/setting?

I had no issue with my previous router using the same setup of line/cables etc. Spectrum was home and checked the line/signal and it was fine

Why do I have it now with this new router ? Why should we look into the modem or cable connections/splitters, other than the router connections/setup ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

that modem e31t2v1  doesn't have a user accessable gui to see your connections. 

If you hardwire into the modem and use for a bit, does your internet remain stable?

What firmware is on your RAX? 

Is it both wired and wireless devices that drop?

Message 4 of 8
marcoball
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.0.1.12_1.0.41

My internet remains stable without the router and just using the modem

Both wired and wirelss connections drop in the house but is seems that it starts from the pc wired connection.

Is there some sort of setting in the router that do that maybe the router think I am under some sort of attack because too many connections are coming at he same time for incoming and outgoing internet traffic?

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Here's what I'd recommend. 

the RAX200 is a bit newer of a device. It has had quite significant firmware updates and because of that, has responded very favorably to factory reset and manual reinstall. I've found this to help quite a bit with mine. 

I doubt its that you're under attack.

Try the reset/reinstall.

If that doesn't work I'd recommend 2 other things.

First, if you're still within your 90 days of free support, I'd open a support ticket with netgear. The RAX's a pretty new and it might be a bug or hardware failure. 

Second, if you're not within your 90 days, I'd try downgrading a version of the firmware, factory resetting, and seeing if that version is more stable. Again, they're pretty new devices and still working bugs out in them. 

Message 6 of 8
marcoball
Aspirant

Hi. Thanks for the help.

What I meant is that I use programs that download from multiple sources at the same time. so I was thinking that the router was seeing that as multiple incoming conncetions and blocking the input of the data.

I tried removing the ethernet and runnig my pc also wireless same as the majority of the hardware in my house connected to the router, but I have the same issue. So the ethernet connectionis not the problem

How do I reset/reinstall the router to factory ? Would I lose the password to get access to internet via router ?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you perform a factory reset, you'd have to reinstall the router like it was new. If you have settings you have to input into the internet to connect to your isp, write them down so you can input them after the reset. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements