Invalid MAC address - DG834N

Invalid MAC address - DG834N

I have a Netgear DG834N....with the latest firmware v1.02.15.

I use MAC filtereing as just one security device to keep my wireless network secure.

I have just bought a new EE PC 1005H...The wireless adaptor has a MAC address starting 1C:4B.....

Whenever I try and add this new wireless MAC to the Access List I get an error message "Invalid MAC address, please enter again"

Now I believe that the MAC address of the wireless is hard coded. How do I get my router to accept a MAC code starting with 1C: instead of 00:

Smiley Sad
Message 1 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Invalid MAC address - DG834N

I seen 00: starting in mac address fail to work. there is thread like this

although, if you use WPA2 encryption you don't even have to worried about the access list.

you want to report this to support on mac address issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12

I am using WPA2 encryption..Why are you suggesting I don't need to use MAC filtering.....

I will report this issue to support though....thanks....
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

fatbaldingoldgit wrote:
I am using WPA2 encryption..Why are you suggesting I don't need to use MAC filtering.....

I will report this issue to support though....thanks....

for one. mac address can be easily spoof by scanning the network.

most important is the using WPA2.

WEP, WPA-TKIP will be easily hack in encryption so even using access list will let someone to access your network

On the other hand, WPA-AES, WPA2-AES takes too long ( I didn't say you can't) Most will not spend time to crack.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
prodigy06
Aspirant

try adding 00: before your MAC address. You can also check it on the router UI (under attached devices) but you must first connect your laptop to the signal that the device is broadcasting.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
Message 5 of 12

I've managed a work-around for this problem..as it seems it's only the validation of the MAC code entry that's at fault. The router operates fine with this MAC address.

I entered the MAC address with the first entry as 00: instead of 1C: into the access list...which of course is allowed...I also btw fixed the IP address by entering the modified MAC code in the address reservations section. I then backed up the settings to the default .cfg file, edited the file in Notepad to change the entries from 00: to !C:..and then restored the default .cfg file to the router..and it works fine.

So a reasonable if fiddly solution to something that shouldn't be trapped as an error anyway.

I've reported this to Netgear SUpport..having navigated the tortuous process..Let's hope they fix it sometime soon..But for now it's working OK for me...
Message 6 of 12
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

fatbaldingoldgit wrote:

If anyone was interested in trying to hack your wireless network they would typically use a sniffer program, this would reveal things like the SSID, and MAC addresses of connecting PCs as they make a connection, they can even force an already connected PC to re-connect though this ‘aggressive’ approach may not go unnoticed. This will happen very quickly at the start of the process; long before the key is revealed (it will not be for WPA2). So if they were able to get the key, long before that point they would have already found connecting MAC addresses which Windows will allow them to duplicate in their own adaptor device properties. So they will pass your MAC filtering regardless.

MAC filtering is like adding a 1 inch padlock to the outside of a 15 ton bank vault door.

Having said all that, the facility is provided and should work correctly if used.
Message 7 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

MAC filtering is like adding a 1 inch padlock to the outside of a 15 ton bank vault door.

good one!..........Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 12
leveller
Aspirant

So, I've been hating my new DGND3700 router. Complete waste of money. See note at bottom of this post. Having major issues with my PC (unrelated to the new router) - one of the things I tried to do to resolve or identify the issue was to go back to my DG834N. I enter the MAC details of a few of the wireless devices and come to my partners iPad. And get the same message "Invalid MAC address". I check for the newest firmware to solve the issue - I already have the latest.

So it is now 28 June 2012 ... and although the problem is big enough to stop people using "wireless station access list" with some MAC addresses - the problem has not been fixed?!

Netgear are losing the plot. It's a known issue that they've shrugged off.

And the bottom note: the DGND3700 is the biggest disappointment ever. It is utterly basic, and hugely expensive. Unresponsive in the menus. It needs to reboot itself after every change?! Riiiiiight. It has a total lack of user control.

That was my last Netgear router I'll ever buy. I honestly think Netgear dropped the ball with this one. We are supposed to be given MORE user control as the years roll on, not dumbed down amateur, expensive, rubbish.
Message 9 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

don't hijack the thread if you have dgnd3700
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 12
leveller
Aspirant

I appreciate you try to help a lot of Netgear users. But you cannot defend the fact that Netgear has had this issue on most of their routers firmware for well over 2 years now, and still not corrected it.

And my post is relevant to this thread because I was talking about the DG834N having the issue being discussed. Thanks.
Message 11 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Dg834n is EOl products!

NO firmware fixes will EVER come out

Netgear.com/eol
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM