Re: Invalid large file sizes via FTP?

mgrabow
Aspirant

Invalid large file sizes via FTP?

Hello,
I have experienced a werid situation:
using an FTP client (FileZilla) I uploaded a large file (approx. 5 GB - iso image) to a readyshare folder. Everything seems fine, except for file size reported by router's FTP server - approx. 1 GB (tested on FileZilla and Firefox built-in client). If you try to download the file, it downloads only that 1 GB and the file is corrupted (truncated, I guess).

Smaller files (even 2 GB) seem OK.

SMB and HTTP clients show real and correct file size and using that protocols, access and download is fine.

It's a bit irritaiting, as FTP access is much faster than SMB if you don't need direct access and just use storage.

Has anyone experienced such behaviour? Is there a way to fix it?
I'm using WNDR3700v2 with .12 firmware and 1,5 TB external drive.

Regards,
Michal
Message 1 of 10
sabretooth
Apprentice

Upgrade your firmware to .16 and try again. Make sure you hard reset the router an reconfigure it manually back to your settings.
Message 2 of 10
mgrabow
Aspirant

You mean the one from WNDR3800?
Message 3 of 10
sabretooth
Apprentice

Ohps, sorry! I read the wrong model number. Ignore my post.
Message 4 of 10
mgrabow
Aspirant

No, wait - seems it wasn't that stupid after all Smiley Wink)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=627426

According to that topic, WNDR3700v2 is fully flashable with WNDR3800's 10.0.0.16 firmware. I'm going to test it soon Smiley Happy

Thanks!
Michal
Message 5 of 10
mgrabow
Aspirant

Unfortunately no success... I couldn't even manage to install new firmware. I did everything "by the book", but always after uploading new image file, I ended up with my old firmware (even though I did 30/30/30 before and after flashing). A bit frustrating Smiley Happy

Regards,
Michal
Message 6 of 10
jlewter
Guide

I do not think trying to flash the 3800fw on it is a good idea.
The 3700v1, 3700av, 3700v2 should all be able to run it. Upgrading the memory (steady hand and good iron required) would be wise.

As long as your flashing firmware versions that do not alter the bootloader then your good to go, but if any update touches that then you could find it a bit difficult to recover.
Message 7 of 10
mgrabow
Aspirant

Thanks - eventually I gave up with wndr3800 firmware and decided to go with dd-wrt. I turned out it also can't handle large files (> 4GB) by FTP, but this time I know it's by design Smiley Wink

Regards,
Michal
Message 8 of 10
jlewter
Guide

If you format it as NTFS instead of FAT it should be able to handle >4gb file size.
Message 9 of 10
mgrabow
Aspirant

Thanks, but that's not it. I've formatted it as ext2 (for maximum performance) and it does handle large files (using SMB). It's just that FTP doesn't Smiley Happy

Regards,
Michal
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E