Re: Is 16/128(3800) so much better than 8/64(3700)?

PawelPabich
Aspirant

Is 16/128(3800) so much better than 8/64(3700)?

Hi,

I was about to buy WNDR3700 but it looks like WNDR3800 might be release in a few weeks. I don't need all the bells and whistles it offers but more Flash and RAM can't be bad. All I need is fast, stable router with basic storage sharing via USB. Should I wait ?

Thanks

Pawel
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you can wait for the 3800 you should, if not you might try a 4000 with .60 firmware. The 3700 is a big dissapointment. The 4000 has been out for 7 months and while it also has had some firmware problems, they have been resloved. While the 3700 line keeps stumbling along.

I owned 2 3700's and Netgear replaced the 2nd one with a 4000.
Message 2 of 7
somsubhro
Aspirant

NETGEAR Forum members,

Yes it is true that WNDR3700 had a bad firmware back in Feb/March. The issue was related to Internet WAN connections getting dropped on a regular basis with some torrents, VPN, PS3 and xbox marketplace connections.

We have resolved the issues and the latest firmware has been fully tested so that these issues do not come up again.

WNDR3800 has extra memory to support for the number of Features and Apps we have added. Here is a quick preview and you can learn more at www.netgear.com/wndr3800. Units will be available starting from this week. Amazon.com still shows 1-2 months in pre-orders but that is not true. We have notified Amazon.

Here is a list of features that require the higher memory footprint to run the applications seamlessly.

Here is the list of features.
• Clear Channel Selector - Dynamically avoids busy Wi-Fi channels for clear and fast wireless connections
• ReadySHARE® Cloud - Access and share files on an attached USB hard drive anywhere you have an Internet connection. IPhone, IPad and Android apps available for Download.
• ReadySHARE® Printer - Wirelessly print from your Mac or PC to a connected USB printer.
• NETGEAR Genie™ - Easy dashboard control to manage, monitor, and repair home networks.
• Video Mode – Dedicated Video Mode for reliable Video Streaming
• WebGenie – New Router GUI look and feel with CD less install from any SmartPhone or Tablet (comes pre-configured with unique SSID and password)
• Expanded TiVo Storage - Connect any USB HDD for extra storage capacity for a TiVo
• Apple Time Machine® Compatible - MAC compatible & stores back-up data to attached USB HDD
• ReadyShare USB Storage, DLNA, Guest Networks, Parental Controls, Broadband usage meter and more..
• Open Platform – Runs opensource firmware like OpenWRT, DD-WRT and Tomato support – visit community website @ www.myopenrouter.com

Here is an early user review on the myopenrouter website

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/30388/NETGEAR-N600-WNDR3800-Dual-Band-Open-Platform-Router-Revie...

Thank you for your support and the long wait for WNDR3800 as we wanted to ensure all the features and Apps are working right and tested before releasing it to the market.

Please continue to provide feedback on the dedicated WNDR3800 forum.

Regards

-Som
Message 3 of 7
PawelPabich
Aspirant

Thanks for the update. Do you know what is the release date in Australia?

Thanks

Pawel
Message 4 of 7
somsubhro
Aspirant

Seems like it should be by 2nd week of September .. give or take a few days.

Thanks
-Som
Message 5 of 7
al1701
Novice

somsubhro wrote:
NETGEAR Forum members,

Yes it is true that WNDR3700 had a bad firmware back in Feb/March. The issue was related to Internet WAN connections getting dropped on a regular basis with some torrents, VPN, PS3 and xbox marketplace connections.

We have resolved the issues and the latest firmware has been fully tested so that these issues do not come up again.

WNDR3800 has extra memory to support for the number of Features and Apps we have added. Here is a quick preview and you can learn more at www.netgear.com/wndr3800. Units will be available starting from this week. Amazon.com still shows 1-2 months in pre-orders but that is not true. We have notified Amazon.

Here is a list of features that require the higher memory footprint to run the applications seamlessly.

Here is the list of features.
• Clear Channel Selector - Dynamically avoids busy Wi-Fi channels for clear and fast wireless connections
• ReadySHARE® Cloud - Access and share files on an attached USB hard drive anywhere you have an Internet connection. IPhone, IPad and Android apps available for Download.
• ReadySHARE® Printer - Wirelessly print from your Mac or PC to a connected USB printer.
• NETGEAR Genie™ - Easy dashboard control to manage, monitor, and repair home networks.
• Video Mode – Dedicated Video Mode for reliable Video Streaming
• WebGenie – New Router GUI look and feel with CD less install from any SmartPhone or Tablet (comes pre-configured with unique SSID and password)
• Expanded TiVo Storage - Connect any USB HDD for extra storage capacity for a TiVo
• Apple Time Machine® Compatible - MAC compatible & stores back-up data to attached USB HDD
• ReadyShare USB Storage, DLNA, Guest Networks, Parental Controls, Broadband usage meter and more..
• Open Platform – Runs opensource firmware like OpenWRT, DD-WRT and Tomato support – visit community website @ www.myopenrouter.com

Here is an early user review on the myopenrouter website

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/30388/NETGEAR-N600-WNDR3800-Dual-Band-Open-Platform-Router-Revie...

Thank you for your support and the long wait for WNDR3800 as we wanted to ensure all the features and Apps are working right and tested before releasing it to the market.

Please continue to provide feedback on the dedicated WNDR3800 forum.

Regards

-Som

I would just like Netgear to support the owners that have 3700 v1 and v2.:(

My 3700 v2 constantly drops internet connection, even though sometimes it shows it connected, requiring reboot every several days or sometimes several times each day. This seems to be an ongoing problem for a lot of owners of these modems and is discussed in the Netgear forums. Some say it is not recognizing the DNS automatically after awhile for new sites, but will still work on open connections in the browser and suggest putting in your own DNS primary and secondary address to keep the connection open when looking up new sites versus obtaining automatically, but I am finding this still does not solve the problem 100% and Netgear needs fix the glitches with an update.:rolleyes::mad:

I should have a router that works correctly, especially a common function like accessing websites.:mad:

I shouldn't have to go out and buy a new router with new firmware that supposedly is the newest and latest fix since I just bought this one a few weeks ago and this new improved version wasn't available. :rolleyes:

I have heard some owners are flashing their V2's with the 3800's firmware since it is essentially the same modem inside except for ram configurations and they are working correctly with the 1.0.0.16 firmware. Is that what I have to do to get it to function correctly?:confused:
Message 6 of 7
aryouwhy
Aspirant

al1701 wrote:
...My 3700 v2 constantly drops internet connection, even though sometimes it shows it connected, requiring reboot every several days or sometimes several times each day...

Can you call the techical suport line and ask for a beta fw for WNDR3700v2? They should a firmware for you to try that fixes the disconnect issue.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E