Is this Router worth it?

Qturbo
Aspirant

Is this Router worth it?

A half an hour ago I was was making my way to NewEgg to buy this router, but stopped by here first.

Does this router offer better speed and range for a few laptops, a couple of PS3's, smartphones, and a desktop or is it junk? We have a 2 story 3000 sqft home and am currently running a D-Link DIR655 in the basement wired to a Linksys WRT160N upstairs. All the 2.4 GHZ gets muddy so I'm buying dual band and and keeping the linksys upstairs.

I thought that the R6300 would be worth the extra money but everything I've read in here makes me want to stay all the way away from it.

Anyone got some positive feedback that would relate to my situation? :confused:
Message 1 of 13
01R
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Is this Router worth it?

why not just get a wndr4500 ? its not junk its just to new ?
Message 2 of 13
Qturbo
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. I will probably get something that has the bugs worked out of it. I just really wanted this 6300 to be a ready router because the speed and range are so enticing. Oh well...
Message 3 of 13
Cybercare
Aspirant

WNDR4500 currently has slightly better range than the 6300 so unless you plan on moving to AC clients soon (which dont exist yet to public) go with 4500.

If you plan on doing wireless bridge, 6300 is the way to go though as it will link at up to 1300Mbps.
Message 4 of 13
Qturbo
Aspirant

No wireless bridge for now, but that's nice forward thinking. I'm actually going to stay with my current setup and continue to try to find a sweet spot with location and channels. I like the 4500 a lot but if I buy it now, will I be kicking myself in September because I didn't wait for the R6300 (or something like it) to evolve? Yep.

Thanks for the advice folks!
Message 5 of 13
IAmMe
Aspirant

Nope, it doesn't even support the features they advertise on the box (see the guest network thread elsewhere in this forum). I'm getting ready to box mine back up and check out competitors' products, this is rediculous.
Message 6 of 13
klas1
Aspirant

Who cares about guest network, it's foolish to knock it down just because it's temporary missing this feature. Performance & range is what matters in routers and R6300 doesn't disappoint in that.
R7000 (present)

Dlink DIR-868L (2 weeks)

Asus RT-AC68U (5 days)

Linksys EA6900 (7 days)

R6300v2 (7 month)

R6300v1 (1 year)

RT-N56U (1 year)

WNDR3700 (1 year)

Dlink DIR-655 (1 year)
Message 7 of 13
Cybercare
Aspirant

IAmMe wrote:
Nope, it doesn't even support the features they advertise on the box (see the guest network thread elsewhere in this forum). I'm getting ready to box mine back up and check out competitors' products, this is rediculous.

The competitors will be a let down, that much I can share.

And as stated the product was released sooner to get it into peoples hands and the features, plus others will be added. Guest feature is due out this week with many bug fixes etc.

This router has had a lot more work done on it than the competitor but as an consumer you are free to try around.

Many people rather get an item release early with a feature not yet in it than not have an item. Esp those who need a router now and don’t want to buy something old or outdated.
Message 8 of 13
JPVann
Aspirant

To me it's missing a BIG function - USB 3.0. I have 2 3TB Seagate USB 3 drives and I am not about to go backwards on a $200 router, although I like everything else about teh R6300....
Message 9 of 13
madhatter
Apprentice

My 3700v1 bit the dust. I've now had a chance to test wndr3400v1, 3800, 4500 and r6300.

3400 = best value at just 80 bucks. Not quite as fast as the others, but overall excellent router

3800 = also an excellent value; upgraded to latest f/w, excellent router 100 bucks at costco, very stable with latest firmware, not quite as fast as the r6300; 3800 is the only one that has readyshare cloud service which appears to be really nice. Since none of the other routers have it, though, I have my doubts if this service will continue or will it go away? Also there's a chance that Netgear may charge for this service in the future. Not sure of the privacy implications of readyshare cloud, either.

4500 = upgraded to latest f/w; 2.4 range no better than 3800 in my tests; had a problem where 2 laptops (different make/models) could not log in to Guest mode; but hp touchpad connected with no problem.

r6300 = upgraded to latest f/w but had problems with speed degradation after 20 hours of operation. Kind of pricey at 170 bucks at staples. I downgraded to V1.0.2.10_1.0.21 and disabled WMM as someone else suggested. Router has been the fastest of the bunch, range is the same as the others, and it's been solid now for 24 hours. I just had to reboot it to make some settings changes, so we'll see how it runs for an extended period.

I'd say look at either wndr3400, 3800 or r6300. 6300 seems to be worth the extra
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 10 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

JPVann wrote:
To me it's missing a BIG function - USB 3.0. I have 2 3TB Seagate USB 3 drives and I am not about to go backwards on a $200 router, although I like everything else about teh R6300....

Who cares about USB 3.0. No router can get the speed of USB 2.0 even now. The routers don't have the CPU power or the memory to provide routing functions AND throughput to your ISP. If you want NAS speed, buy a NAS.
Message 11 of 13
sabretooth
Apprentice

JPVann wrote:

Who cares about USB 3.0. No router can get the speed of USB 2.0 even now. The routers don't have the CPU power or the memory to provide routing functions AND throughput to your ISP. If you want NAS speed, buy a NAS.
Message 12 of 13
JPVann
Aspirant

I just bought the R6300 from Fry's - easiest and quickest setup of any router I've ever bought - very impressive.

Thanks to all who pointed out that USB 3.0 doesn't make a difference. I've got a LG NAS already and realized the USB ports were really a non issue since routers can't handle current 2.0 throughput as it is.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements