Highlighted
Initiate

Is this a scam?

I just spent 45 minutes with a "tech" person trying to set up my extender as I have a new U-verse network. This person was IN my computer. I followed a netgear.com link. He goes through all these commands on my computer remotely and tells me there is a conflict andI'd have to pay $99 to update the firmware so I could use my$69 dollar less then a year old extender. I shut it all down. This seemed really not above board to me. Not sure I'll buy netgear again.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Is this a scam?

We'll ty for the input. I've used net gear a lot in the past. This, to me, is a blatant and unscrupulous attempt to dupe folks into spending more money. In the future I will be looking for alternatives to netgear when I buy.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Were you given a case number? Can you PM me all your details to have this investigated?

What's the exact model number of your NETGEAR extender?

What devices are involved in your network setup?

How many computers and their operating systems?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Well, as you just found out, "Tech Support" for Netgear products is basically a sales pitch for their paid support.  If you got the link from the netgear website, it's probably not an illegal scam....................

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000)
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Initiate

We'll ty for the input. I've used net gear a lot in the past. This, to me, is a blatant and unscrupulous attempt to dupe folks into spending more money. In the future I will be looking for alternatives to netgear when I buy.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements