× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issues with netgear routers.

OrcidSamuel
Follower

Issues with netgear routers.

So am I crazy or has anyone else experience similar issues with this kind of stuff.

Long long time ago when Halo 2 was released, I got my parents up upgrade to a blazing fast 256kbit connection through a cable company. (I know right.)

My parents, being the geniuses that they are, did not listen to me in getting the 50 dollar linksys router and grabbed the 25 dollar netgear router from best buy. You know the really old metal ones that barely fit all of the ports in the back?

Six months into it the router was regularly either dropping connections to certain IPs or refused to connect to others. I kid you not, I could plug in the router and head to google and it would refuse to connect while yahoo worked.

So I proved that the router was the issue thanks to a visit from the ISP and a 50 dollar surcharge from said ISP for having them come out for something not their fault. My parents bought another netgear router. Best buy guy said "Hmm that's weird. Netgear is made by the same company as linksys." My 19 year old self believed him.

Six months later... same thing happened.

This time I bought a linksys router. You know the old blue and grey ones that were wired only? That router lasted my parents TEN YEARS.

During this time I had moved out and experienced other issues with netgear brand routers.

First was an issue with roommate's router having massive packet loss. OK purchased an old style wireless G linksys router. Think ran strong for well over 5 year before I moved out.

New place I received, as a gift, one of those 400 dollar D-Link routers. The kind with the LCD display them. I loved that thing. Used it for about 5 years before my Fiance spilled milk on it. <_<

She goes and replaces the router with a netgear. The N600 line. WNDR3400v3. I begrudgingly set it up and was sufficiently impressed with the level of control this router had through the webconsole. Tripped me up every time I tried typing in 192.168 instead of routerlogin, but meh I could deal.

This was 2 years ago. That router lasted a full 2 years before failing. We were having issues with outbound packet loss in the upwards of %75. She plays online with destiny and I play eve online and ff14 occasionally. Cant play with that kind of lag.

We thought it was the ISP that was giving us trouble. Nope. They come out do a full test of the hard ware with and without router. They determine that it is 100 percent our router that is the issue.

I try doing a firmware update, still dropping packets, I change the cords, still drops packets, I pay my ISP to run a new copper wire to my modem, and guess what? Still dropping packets.

2 years. TWO FRIGGIN YEARS is all I got out of this router. I know modern electronics are usually built on a 5 year life span, but this is ridiculous. Every other router I used had lasted a long time. The sole exception to this was a DOA D-Link router we got. Happens sometimes. The replacement is the one that got milked.

I replaced my router with a TP-Link. Brand I have not heard of before but has good ratings online for mid range budget gaming router. I wanted to spend around 100-150 and this one came highly rated one a few sites. Could not find much in the way of customer complaints. The AC1750 is what I picked up, 89 at microcenter before taxes.

Internet problems fixed instantly.

So my question to yall is simple. Am I crazy here? Everyone I talk to tell me that netgear is really solid and that they have had no issues what so ever. Now not everyone I talk to is as technically savvy as I am, but they know enough to get by.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7