× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with the 2.4 GHZ side of my Netgear WNDR-3400V2

Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

Issues with the 2.4 GHZ side of my Netgear WNDR-3400V2

There is an issue as of late when I had the oldest firmware I had 150 MBPS connection when I upgraded to the previously latest firmware it dropped down to 72MBps and now with the current firmware it will not give me more than 72 on one card and the laptop I am using it is a strange speed of 58.2 and does not go above that. When I connect to 5 GHz it gives me more speed. And the problem is I need the full speed in order to use my NAS drive effectivly. I suppose I just better connect an ethernet cable in when I want to use the NAS to get the full speed otherwise I am limited to 58.5-65 Mbps around 6-8MB/s* I am fed up no matter what channle I choose, I cannot get the speed back. This is not a N600 router because of this issue. My Belkin N150 gives me full speed so it is not RF interferance. Anyone have any idea? Or would me installing the OPEN-WRT help me get my speed. This router has 8MB Rom, 64MB Ram and a 500+MHz processor.

My LG2 802.11/abgn connects at 108 MBps on the 5Ghz band, my Kindle Fire HD 2013 (On 5Ghz band) connects at 108 MBps, my Nokia Lumia 1020 connects at 72 MBPS, my desktop connects at 72MBps (2.4 GHz band), My HDTVs are uncertian as I do not know on which band they connect,

Any idea on what to do to take advantage of the speed this device CLAIMS to do? I need to know if I could go back to an older firmware, or find a WRT system that allows me to agressively set up the 40 MHz. I am saddened that I have to do these things.. Let me know

*100 MB/s is 12.5MBps transfer rate in windows dialog

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

I have and I determined it is the card. Not the netgear. I get 300 MBP/s on 5 GHZ and 144 on 2.4 I cannot get 40 MHZ to work but that would be unneighbrorly of me to use so much bandwidth. And since 5 GHZ is basically empty around here I will use it.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
doraemon
Prodigy

you can always downgrade.

try to reset and reconfigure first before switching to an openWRT fw.

Message 2 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

I did do a factory reset and that did no good. I just got to buy some dual band USB D-link USB wifi adapters for my Stream x360 and Dell Optiplex 745 Pentium D.System.  My HP Proboox 6560B has a ABGN in it so its fine. My cell phone, Fire HD (2013), Nexus 2013, LG2 and may be my Lumia 1020 all have abgn. they do 108-150 I would like it if they did 300, maybe my probook will(havent gotten it yet..) Only reason I need the full speed is the NAS feature.  I will not do wrt just yet.......  I need to try to get all my devices on 5GHz. I see that 2.4 is congested around here. I gotta buy 2 USB cards.

David

Message 3 of 19
doraemon
Prodigy

what's your current mode? 

is it 300Mbps?

you will never get a full speed out of it, it'll always be less but not so much.

try to change channel too and see if it will help. 

getting slow wireless speed can be due to interference or other factors such as the speed capability of the wireless cards.

make sure that you avoid interference and that the wireless devices can handle the same speed.

Message 4 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

I tried that no go, I cannot get it above 72MBps ever on 2.4. I went through all channles. Now on 5 Ghz I can get pas tthe 72MB  barrier with 108 and someimes higher. I did a factory reset, I even turned off encryption still no good. I would like to be able to use 40MHz on 2.4GHz I will just go buy an 802.11abgn wireless USB card (2 of them)  so I can use 5GHz I saw some D-Lins for 15 bucks but what do  you all suggest? I would like to at least get 108-150 MB I wish I could use 80MHZ bandwidth heh. I'd get 300.

Nevertheless, I need to know what USB dongle is the best for the best data speed (for the Network AP Storage. It's An 1TB External HDD.

David

Message 5 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Suntop_Kinseeke I'd like to get confirmation that you're just having difficulty on 2.4Ghz band, correct?

Your 5Ghz is working ok and there are no other issues aside from getting slow speed on 2.4Ghz frequency.

What devices are connecting on 2.4Ghz? How many feet away from the router?

Where's the NETGEAR router located?

Which firmware version you've used where you're getting 150Mbps?

Looking forward to you response.

Message 6 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

I can finally answer your question first of all I am in the same room and about 5 or so feet away from the router. I waited for my i5 HP Probook 6460b to arrive andI have some good and bad news. Good news 802.11a/n (5GHz) I got 300Mbps. However on 2.4GHz I can only get max 144Mbps. Did a factory reset again and still only get those speeds.Howeve on my Netgear WNR1000 V3 I can get the full 150Mbps that it is specified to run.  The radio is turned off when I use the WNDR 3400. So I really do not know why the 2.4 GHz band is byorked on this one. There is only 1 other netgear that shows up but it is 2 bars. Mayhaps I should change My SSID. I think I will but I doubt it will have an effect. If it does I will reply if not then no reply with the resulting speed. If not responce means no change. I also think it a hardware issue too since the 802.11 abgn nework adapter in this laptop is an Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 802.11 abgn adapter (Up to 300 Mbps) and the other one is a RALINK cheap SMAK adapter (b/g/n) and the other laptop has a 802.11 (1X1) bgn card that has bletooth built on.

I hope that changing the SSID will help but doubt it. I do not recall the firnware number but it may of been the one prior to 1.0.0.52 I think it was 1.0.0.38 but uncertian.

David

PS here is some IMAGES of connection speed on this laptop 1 is on the 2.4 side 2 is on the 5 ghz side and if I connect to my WDR 1000 v3 I get 150 so I am uncertaian of the issue

1. 2.4 GHz on WNDR 3400.png
  2. 5GHZ connection speed.png
Message 7 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for this.

Can you go ahead and send me a copy of your configuration file?

Upload it in a sharing site like dropbox or something and send me the link in order for me to download it.

By the way, set the admin password of the router to the default settings of admin and password.

Message 8 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and only changed 2 settings. It is automatically set up with WAP2 I changed the 2.4 and 5 GHz to "Up To 300 MBPS"  An DMZ for one of my machines. I get 144 MBPS on 2.4 and 300 MBPS on 5GHZ on my Intel Core i5 laptop with the Intel Centrino 6205 ABGN card in here I think it is the USB wireless adapter I am using on the other machine. But I should get 300 on 2.4 unless the other networks are causing interference.

David

Message 9 of 19
TheEther
Guru

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, you will never see 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz network.  300 Mbps requires 40 MHz wide channels to be used. But the Wi-Fi standard requires that devices drop down to 20 MHz channel widths whenever competing Wi-Fi networks are detected.  With 20 MHz channel width, the maximum link speed is 150 Mbps.  Your link speed is 144 Mbps because your router is using Long Preamble.  Change it to Short Preamble to get 150 Mbps.

Message 10 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

Changing to short preamble didnt do any good and 20/40 mhz co-coexsistance checked didnt help..... It has to be the firmware...

Message 11 of 19
TheEther
Guru

You may need to make the same changes on the client side. Unfortunately, some drivers may not offer controls to change them. I have 2 Windows laptops and I can change the preamble mode on only 1 laptop. I can force 20 MHz channels but not 40 MHz channels on both.

Frankly, you should give up on getting 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz.  It's very unneighborly because a 40 MHz channel overlaps about 70% of the Wi-Fi channels. Performance also deteriorates significantly in busy environments.

Message 12 of 19
storm1985
Prodigy

@Suntop_Kinseeke  set the adapter channel width to auto (not really recommended) - see more info on this  link.  

Message 13 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

The Centrino isnt the issue the problem is on the wifi usb dongle, I have given up on trying to fix it because I just decided to connect the ethernet cable to it so I can get 100MBPS. I cannot get it to do any more than it is because apparently if it sences any other units near by it wont do fulls speed..... There is no 5GHz routers around except mine and that is why I get 300MBPS. 😞

Message 14 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does this mean that the main problem is with the USB dongle and not the router?

Message 15 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

Until I got the Laptop with the CENTRINO Wifi card I thought it was the router, but now I determined it is the usb chip. I get the full 300 on the Centrino 802.11 n on 5GHz and it shows 2 channels on 5Ghz being used but on 2GHz it don't show me 2 channles being used.

Wireless Settings (2.4GHz)

Name (SSID) NETGEAR36

Region North America
Channel Auto (7)
Mode Up to 300 Mbps
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name On
Wireless isolation Off
Wi-Fi Protected Setup Configured

Wireless Settings (5GHz)
Name (SSID) NETGEAR36-5G
Region North America
Channel 153(P)+149(S)
Mode Up to 300 Mbps
Wireless AP On
Broadcast Name On
Wireless isolation Off
Wi-Fi Protected Setup Configured

So this is the delimia both of the bands have 20/40MHz checked. So I believe that they may of taken out or set  it up if it detects other routers within a given area where interference could happen, that it limits itself to 20Mhz I do not know anyone from NETGEAR can answer this?

Message 16 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried connecting just this pc alone and no other wireless devices connecting to 2.4Ghz signal?

Also, make sure that when you connect, channel width is set to Auto then change the channel to a unique one.

Message 17 of 19
Suntop_Kinseeke
Aspirant

I have and I determined it is the card. Not the netgear. I get 300 MBP/s on 5 GHZ and 144 on 2.4 I cannot get 40 MHZ to work but that would be unneighbrorly of me to use so much bandwidth. And since 5 GHZ is basically empty around here I will use it.

Message 18 of 19
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the update.

Let us know if you need further help.

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements