× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JNR1010-Power Failure during firmware upgrade

shanideep
Aspirant

JNR1010-Power Failure during firmware upgrade

Hi,

I was upgrading the router firmware when power went off at my home. Now the WiFi is not working. It only show power light.

Default Gateway is blank when my computer is connected to router.

192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com is not loading through browser

Unable to identify router IP as it shows blank through ipconfig

Methods already tried:

1. Pressing reset button for 30 secs

2. Uploading router firmware image through tftp2

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
shanideep
Aspirant

Re: JNR1010-Power Failure during firmware upgrade

Finally I was able to resolve the problem.

1. Manually set the IP to 192.168.1.X. Pinging through command prompt still doesn't show any positive results but it was showing packets sent/received in windows netowork settings.

2. Restarted router and after few seconds open 192.168.1.1 through browser. This was showing a page where I can upload the firmware of router. Earlier I was doing it through Chrome and it was not working. When I tried it with Internet Explorer, the router was perfect within few mins.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

return the unit back to the store for replacement

Message 2 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

To make tftp work, there is prerequisite. The router has to be at boot loader time window which is very brief in duration.

Can you ping the router? If yes what is TTL value?  If you are unable to ping better get a replacement.

When you get a new anything first you just try it as is out of box. When it works well, next you can try update f/w after

redling release note. If release note does not have anything to help your situation, don't bother. Even in professional

world they don't just update f/w beause there is newer version.

Let's have an example, upgrading f/w in a haste you can knock off whole network for the office, I sure wouldn't like that.

Common answers floating around here is when some one has problems they say to try new f/w. Often this is very irresponsible

suggestions which can make one problem into two.

Message 3 of 7
shanideep
Aspirant

I'm finding it very difficult to identify boot loader time window as when I switch on the router, within few seconds it shows continuous green light (no other color shows in it). I'm unable to ping the router as well with 192.168.1.1.

"Even in professional world they don't just update f/w beause there is newer version." - Lesson learnt 😄

Message 4 of 7
VE6CGX
Master

If you are unable to ping it is impossible to use tftp method.  Time for a replacement router. Or if you insist

do you you know anything about JTag or serial console? That's only way left to access your router.

Message 5 of 7
shanideep
Aspirant

Haven't heard about it. Will start reading about it and update if I get a solution.

Message 6 of 7
shanideep
Aspirant

Finally I was able to resolve the problem.

1. Manually set the IP to 192.168.1.X. Pinging through command prompt still doesn't show any positive results but it was showing packets sent/received in windows netowork settings.

2. Restarted router and after few seconds open 192.168.1.1 through browser. This was showing a page where I can upload the firmware of router. Earlier I was doing it through Chrome and it was not working. When I tried it with Internet Explorer, the router was perfect within few mins.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7