Just will not connect - wifi on DS Netgear DG834G

StressedMum
Aspirant

Just will not connect - wifi on DS Netgear DG834G

I have used this forum before and had so much help wich I thank you for. Now, I have a problem with my daughters DS. She wants to connect via wifi. I have tried every which way - but I just cannot get a link at all. I have WEP set, disabled, changed passwords and codes... Tried manually syncing, auto syncing, changinglast number if IP etc.. Now I am stuck - Laptop, is fine, Palm is fine, and Ipod touch is fine - but DS just will not let me link - any help at all very much appreciated. Thank you. SM 😞
Message 1 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: Just will not connect - wifi on DS Netgear DG834G

Have you checked that the router MAC address access list is disabled?

Does the DS see your wireless network?
Message 2 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

MAC address access list is disabled – how and what? Not very techie minded!
Does the DS see your wireless network? – No – yesterday it did come up with wifi – but not our one and it was locked and we could not access it. Today I don’t even get that – I have changed channels etc – so maybe that’s why…
Ta. SM 😞
Message 3 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The router is able to store a list of devices it will allow to connect to it, if you have this option selected then this could cause your problem.

However if the DS cannot see your network but all other devices can, then it seems the problem is most likely at the DS end.

If you change wireless channels then only use 1, 6, or 11. The DS should be able to see your network an all of these channels.

Are the other computers etc still able to connect?

Are you broadcasting the SSID (network name) and is it changed from the default ‘Netgear’?
Message 4 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

I don't want to loose you now that we are linked - so I am working very hard here to try out what you have suggested - but I cannot find the page on router to check MAC addresses - can you advise? Ta.
Message 5 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

I have changed SSID - but at the moment I am working with it disabled - on channel 6 now. Won't be sure about all the other hardwars working as one is also an Xbox which I have no idea how to try out. The palm is working, the ipod touch is working and the laptop is working
Message 6 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I am at work so can’t always reply.

You really need to have the SSID broadcast if you are having problems; it’s no practical security feature to disable it anyway.

The Access List is on the router Advance Wireless Settings page. (press the Setup Access List button), I'm guessing you are not using this anyway but check just in case.
Message 7 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

Andy thank you for your time. I have found the page you mentioned - I don't appear to be using it - there's nothing else in it - so I have just put the MAC address in to try that - also turned back on WEP. Still no luck - so I'll go back and remove the MAC address... Just testing everything else - and the xobox (!!) all working!
Message 8 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

If you are not using MAC filtering then don't turn it on, it will just make your current problem more difficult. I was only interested in knowing if it was already on because it could have explained why the DS could not connect.

Are you broadcasting the network name (SSID)?
Message 9 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

sounds like issue with compatibility. you have correct setup on WEP with no access list. this is what I would suggest as well.

try with no encryption and see. WEP are hackable anyway to open or WEP, just small paddle lock using WEP. try that and see
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

Yes - changed the ssid - but still not being found at all. Encryption = tried already with WEP on and off. Am managing to pick up another network - but not my one - got neighbours I think - pad locked!
Message 11 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Can the laptop etc. see the SSID when you scan for networks, is it just the DS that cannot? Is it the DS that sees the neighbour's network or the laptop? Are you definately broadcasting the SSID?
Message 12 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

yes to all - everything else see our ssid - and others in area. Just Ds that doesn't find it - definitely broadcasting.
Message 13 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

StressedMum wrote:
Yes - changed the ssid - but still not being found at all. Encryption = tried already with WEP on and off. Am managing to pick up another network - but not my one - got neighbours I think - pad locked!

with rest working but DS, with this condition tested, I may have to say some compatible issues with chipset on router and DS.

you are at lowest setting and still causing the issues...:)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

oh no! She'll be devastated - no way around it all then you think?:(
Message 15 of 40
Petecoop
Aspirant

why not try another ds? just to see if it picks up the network?
Message 16 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

StressedMum wrote:
oh no! She'll be devastated - no way around it all then you think?:(

don't sounds like SSID, Channel issue as you done before I replied and with no encryption did not help.

you may need to deploy different DG router or add another access point behind your DG router .. you can pick any wireless router and make it as AP

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

make your run second unit with different SSID name and different chan.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 17 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

It certainly sounds like a DS issue. I know nothing about the things, have you had it connected to any other wireless networks? Does it have any options like ad-hoc mode (you need infrastructure with the router)?

I have just read that you can manually enter the SSID in the DS settings, can you try this?
Message 18 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

No - never tried conecting it before - ah well... I foud this site - but mind boggling - they talk of an AP - but don't relish the idea of add ons... kids, hubbies and games!!! Not sure if someone who knows what they are doing can make sense of any of this - I have changed so much about on the router I am worried I'll mess it all up!

http://www.wirelessroomservice.com/what-to-do-when-nintendo-ds-wfc-fails-to-connect-to-wireless-acce...
Message 19 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I was just looking at that site. I didn’t see anything that was significantly different to what you have tried. Since the DS doesn’t even see your network the issues of wireless security and IP addresses don’t even apply (yet). The only thing I thought might help is manually setting the SSID.

Are you using something simple for the SSID? What is your SSID?

You could try setting the wireless mode in the router basic wireless settings. By default it is probably Mode B/G, try just Mode B or just Mode G.

There’s really not much you can mess up in the router wireless settings, provided you can connect to the router by a cable to correct any mistakes you might make.
Message 20 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

Hi Andy - ssid set to roxie - pets name. Have actually already tried b/g b and g alone - no effect. I'll see if we can borrow another DS and see what happens...
Message 21 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

An SSID of ‘roxie’ should be fine, some people set some very odd SSIDs. Are you able to try a manual SSID setting in the DS?

I’m just about out of ideas now, not seeing the SSID is a basic first step problem. I can think of nothing at the router end that would cause the DS to not see the SSID but still allow other devices (laptops etc) to see it.
Message 22 of 40
StressedMum
Aspirant

I have tried all manner of manual settings. Maybe you can help with that - do I take the ip address from my pc or choose one in the range to suit the DS. I have tried the automatic settings, and manual settings - but I wonder if my manual setting are incorrect. I need the IP Address,subnet mask, gateway, dns, secondary dns. I have been using 192.168.0.1/200, 255.255.255.0,192.168.0.1 and 4.2.2.2
Message 23 of 40
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

I don’t think you need to worry about IP addresses yet, until your DS is able to see and at least attempt to connect to your network. But I think your router address would be 192.168.1.1 by default, your DNS should work, the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 is fine.
Message 24 of 40
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

to me just a compatible issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 25 of 40