LAN to WAN upload throughput is lacking.

vypregts
Novice

Re: LAN to WAN upload throughput is lacking.

For those having issues:

Try checking the Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection box (under Advanced WAN setup).

Netgear support responded with a number of suggestions (turning off a bunch of settings on that page), but this one seems to be the key. After their initial suggestion worked well for me I backed out all the settings one by one leaving only the Port Scan and DoS Protection option off. I'm now seeing uploads very close to a direct cable connection.

So the real question becomes:

Here's hoping this is just a code flaw and not a hardware limitation (CPU speed is what I'm thinking).
Message 26 of 49
billshih1975
Aspirant

because the server maybe different when you run the upload throughput testing.

I would recommend you can setup fix IP in the WAN site and test the WAN-LAN throughput.
Message 27 of 49
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

I think that upload will be less when you check on sites such as speedtest.net. This has been the case for all the routers I have tested on a FIOS 43/35 connection.

Here are results from speedtest.net:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1721617986.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1721619557.png

From UofVA NDT:
35.81 Up
43.00 Down

From Verizon:

Your download
speed is
42.884 Mbps.

Your upload
speed is
36.44 Mbps.
Message 28 of 49
Ghettorat
Aspirant

vypregts wrote:
For those having issues:
Try checking the Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection box (under Advanced WAN setup).

Netgear support responded with a number of suggestions (turning off a bunch of settings on that page), but this one seems to be the key. After their initial suggestion worked well for me I backed out all the settings one by one leaving only the Port Scan and DoS Protection option off. I'm now seeing uploads very close to a direct cable connection.

Here's hoping this is just a code flaw and not a hardware limitation (CPU speed is what I'm thinking).

Did not help me. Testing against same server on speedtest with direct connection to fiber or through wdr4500. FTP remote from me to others also getting lower speeds.

30mb up with router, 85 through switch straight in wall fibre.
Message 29 of 49
taekwon3dan
Aspirant

Ghettorat wrote:
Did not help me. Testing against same server on speedtest with direct connection to fiber or through wdr4500. FTP remote from me to others also getting lower speeds.

30mb up with router, 85 through switch straight in wall fibre.

Can you try a speed test through the router on a server such as http://web100.misc.virginia.edu:7123/ or http://ndt.anl.gov:7123/ ?
Message 30 of 49
Ghettorat
Aspirant

taekwon3dan wrote:
Can you try a speed test through the router on a server such as http://web100.misc.virginia.edu:7123/ or http://ndt.anl.gov:7123/ ?

I am in Norway so testing to a US server wont really give any useful info.
Thanks for trying though.
Message 31 of 49
Ghettorat
Aspirant

I brought back an Asus rt-n56u black diamond from work to test (and a cisco rv200w that I haven't tested yet) and guess what I am back to my previous upload speeds I had before i got the WNDR4500 (35-40 mbit vs 85mbit which i had before). I have 100/100 mbit fibre.

Cant believe this bug really. It is supposed to be a high end performance router.
The Asus rt-n66u can't come soon enough.
Message 32 of 49
Ghettorat
Aspirant

Same result on all firmwares and I am on the 0.103 beta now.
Message 33 of 49
jarome
Aspirant

vypregts wrote:
For those having issues:

This is critical. If you look at the router logs, you will see messages about DOS attacks. When this happens, the router shuts itself off for a minute! And it does this for internal traffic too! So for example, PingPlotter is identified as an attacker. I have spent a year trying to track this down.
Message 34 of 49
Delta75
Aspirant

Ghettorat wrote:
Yes i am experiencing the same, from an earlier post:

Speedtest with WNDR4500:

Speedtest with cable straight to wall bypassing WNDR4500:

Confirming the slow upload performance on this router. I found it strange that my upload speeds dropped from around 85mb/s to around 30mb/s after i got this router (bought it as an "upgrade" from my last 2 buffalo with dd-wrt which had no issues).

So today I tested with cable straight to the wall (fibre at home) and through the router to the same speedtest server. Surprise surprise. Terrible upload speeds on this router. If a fix doesn't come or a dd-wrt compatible firmware is out in a week or two this router is going back. Having problems with remote access being blocked alot as potential dos attacks too.

This is supposed to be a performance router but it performs worse than a 50 dollar one... (yes wireless is good but that's it for now).

From this thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=71368

Not resolved.

I have a 60/60 fiber line and firmware v1.0.0.70. and getting:

Using www.speedtest.net

Speedtest with WNDR4500 towards Oslo:

and without the WNDR4500 towards Oslo:

And

Speedtest with WNDR4500 towards Bergen:

and without the WNDR4500 towards Bergen:

The question is if this is a hardware or a software problem??
I´m thinking of returning the router and get the Linksys E4200 instead.
To return the router or to wait for an solution, what to do?
Message 35 of 49
billshih1975
Aspirant

just think perhaps it's ethernet phy IOT issue.
if you fix your laptop NIC card as "100Mbps/Full Duplex", what's the uplink throughput from speedtest?
Message 36 of 49
Delta75
Aspirant

I have used a desktop with a Intel 82574L Gigabit connection.
I took my girfriends laptop witch only have a 100Mbps/Full Duplex as you suggested, and tested:

Problem identified. Thanks.

As i don´t have the option to change the speed on my desktop with the current win7 drivers i downloaded and installed new from Intel and changed to 100Mbps/Full Duplex.

This is what i got:

Anyway, i wil keep on trying to change the settings on ny network adapter to see what happens. Thanks again.
Message 37 of 49
Goob
Guide

This is bad news!

Do a Google search for Netgear Intel connection problems.
For years Netgear has had ongoing problems with their switches and Intel NICs.

Considering Intel makes some of the industry's best consumer NICs, it's a shame Netgear can't get their hardware to play nice and auto negotiate. Cisco, HP, even trendnet all work well with Intel NICs.

If what you discovered with 4500 has similar roots in the Netgear Intel compatibility saga, then I hold no hope of this being fixed any time soon.

Said it before, say it again.
If I am forced to choose between my Intel NICs and Netgear equipment ... goodbye Netgear.
:-(
Message 38 of 49
natasofcols
Aspirant

Craptastic. I am finally reaching my limits with my slow wireless upload speeds and just read the Intel nic post above. Here are my results below:

My laptop with a Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 connected on 5GHz

My wife's laptop using an old Realtek Wireless G card

How pathetic is it that she can beat my upload on a G card? Does this issue exist with the older Netgear routers as well? If so, does DD-WRT fix this issue? Following the development process for DD-WRT very closely and would love to see this issue resolved by them.
Message 39 of 49
StratmanX
Tutor

natasofcols wrote:
Craptastic. I am finally reaching my limits with my slow wireless upload speeds and just read the Intel nic post above. Here are my results below:

My laptop with a Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205 connected on 5GHz

My wife's laptop using an old Realtek Wireless G card

How pathetic is it that she can beat my upload on a G card? Does this issue exist with the older Netgear routers as well? If so, does DD-WRT fix this issue? Following the development process for DD-WRT very closely and would love to see this issue resolved by them.

There are so many different variables going on in your testing that no valid conclusion can be made.

1) You are using 5 GHz while your wife is using 2.4 GHz band. You should test on the same bandwidth (2,4 GHz in your case) with each notebook client at the same location.

2) Even if you were to test each client as fast as possible one after the other, there are many reasons for internet speed results to be very different for even the same client being tested sequentially let alone two different clients being tested sequentially. Bottlenecks/interference beyond your control can occur anywhere between your modem and the Speedtest server. In other words, internet speed testing is the last thing to count on when measuring throughputs of the router/LAN. Better testing is using iperf/jperf, LAN Speed Test, or some other similar application that uses two clients on your LAN to transfer data wirelessly without using the internet.

3) Some simplified reasons why your test setup could give odd results:

- Hardware in the notebooks can create more interference to signal on both the antenna and the NIC card. Placement of the antenna and shielding of antenna and NIC can make a significant difference in a client's wireless performance. A better test would be using the same client but swapping the NIC card.

- 5GHz performance drops off quickly due to distance and obstacles in signal pathway from the router compared to 2.4 GHz performance.

- It's possible the Realtek G card is better at 2.4 GHz performance than the Intel card.

- Even if the same location was used for the clients, it is possible some device in the area, such as electrical device or another wireless router, interfered/competed during the Upload portion of the test and caused a lower/slower result.

There are more reasons for your seemingly poor performance. The point is don't give up the ship yet. See if there is an update to your NIC's drivers and install them. Check the settings on your NIC for potential wrong settings.

Plug your notebooks directly into a LAN port on the router and run Speedtest (ie do not use wireless). If there is an improvement in results then it may not be the router as the cause. (Remember that internet tests for throughputs may be notoriously innacurate) Do test throughput on your LAN with two clients - one connected drectly to the router and the other using wireless. If you still have problems, open a support ticket at my.netgear.com.
Message 40 of 49
natasofcols
Aspirant

Sorry, should have given some more background info. I had done other tests prior to my post.

I switched over to the 2.4 band and got pretty much identical results. All the tests were done from the same location (same floor, within 15 ft, 1 wall).

I have done client to client tests (18-20 MB/s on wireless, 118-Max MB/s on gigabit LAN). I have also ran the tests from other LAN based PCs where I do get the full speed (30 down/5 up).

I thought I had ran the wired test from my laptop, but I was wrong. When I ran the wired test, I improved up to 1.8 up, but nothing more.

I ran several tests across different machines(not at the same time) to verify it was just the internet. I can also say that I have ran tests from my office (wired) and got significantly higher speeds.

I'm not planning to ditch this router no matter what the outcome is, but its just quite the annoyance when I'm working remotely over a VPN connection and I can't get the higher upstream speeds that I would expect.

One last curveball: I do have a 3rd, older laptop that has an Intel A/G (A physically disabled) that also posts similar upload #s to all my other machines.

For whatever reason, my laptop is the only one that can never get over 2, let alone push 5 like the other machines. I'm not ruling out my laptop as the cause here, but I can't see what I could have set that would limit the connection like that.
Message 41 of 49
natasofcols
Aspirant

Wanted to give a quick thank you to StratmanX. His post got me looking into a lot of other variables and now I'm able to get the full bandwidth from my laptop. I'm not entirely sure what was causing the bottle neck, but it may have been related to the Symantec Endpoint Agent. That is the only service that I don't have running now and I'm still getting the same speeds as all my other local machines. Thanks again StratmanX, always helps to have someone question your thoughts Smiley Very Happy
Message 42 of 49
StratmanX
Tutor

Thank you for the compliment, natasofcols.

It's great to hear your notebook's LAN speeds have improved. You figured it out!

What are you going to do about Symantec Endpoint? Does it function properly without loading the Agent at boot?
Message 43 of 49
natasofcols
Aspirant

StratmanX wrote:
What are you going to do about Symantec Endpoint? Does it function properly without loading the Agent at boot?

This is not the first time I've encountered issues with that Agent. In the past, it has delayed file copies to an SD card by a few minutes or more and it added 5-10 minutes onto my compile times for C++ projects. I plan to leave it disabled as long as I don't run into any issues where I absolutely require it.
Message 44 of 49
tmyrdal
Aspirant

I live in Norway in Trondheim, and I have got Fiber also truh the IPS Loqal.

And I have 100/100 fiber line.
But with this ruter the max I get is around 34mb down and 28up.

I have been haveing this problem sins I buyed the ruter soon 6 month ago.

As I have read every of your posts here I can see its the ruters problem nothing els, as I have tryed every singel thing I know exept another ruter lol as I sold my old one as this was a high perfor,amce ruter lol BULSHIT.

This ruter Im gonna give away to someone that have a line not so fast and buye me a new one. I will have sendt it back but, to try to convinse the shop you buyed it in about this problem is a night mear so its ust esyer to buye a new one.

Thanks for all the info you all have posted, it finaly convised me that it was the ruter that I was suspecting a ling time now.

So out wiht it and Imorderig a new one. This time I gonna try the Top model from Asus.
Message 45 of 49
claykin
Aspirant

Does your router have latest firmware V1.0.1.6?

Can you try to disable QOS? In router admin, ADVANCED > SETUP > QOS SETUP.

I've compared the Asus N66U to the WNDR4500. Though the Asus has some additional features and 3rd party firmware support, I did not think it had better range/throughput.
Message 46 of 49
mrangry
Aspirant

tmyrdal wrote:
I live in Norway in Trondheim, and I have got Fiber also truh the IPS Loqal.

And I have 100/100 fiber line.
But with this ruter the max I get is around 34mb down and 28up.

I have been haveing this problem sins I buyed the ruter soon 6 month ago.

As I have read every of your posts here I can see its the ruters problem nothing els, as I have tryed every singel thing I know exept another ruter lol as I sold my old one as this was a high perfor,amce ruter lol BULSHIT.

This ruter Im gonna give away to someone that have a line not so fast and buye me a new one. I will have sendt it back but, to try to convinse the shop you buyed it in about this problem is a night mear so its ust esyer to buye a new one.

Thanks for all the info you all have posted, it finaly convised me that it was the ruter that I was suspecting a ling time now.

So out wiht it and Imorderig a new one. This time I gonna try the Top model from Asus.

anyone confirm slow speeds on fiber?

we are switching in fiber in a few weeks
Message 47 of 49
mluna20
Tutor

Was this ever resolved. I recently purchased an N900 and my upload speed was cut in half.
Message 48 of 49
MATHEWCARROLL
Aspirant

Did this ever get resolved? I am having the same problem now. I have the latest firmware 40 and it's still the same. Very disappointing netgear.....
Message 49 of 49
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements