× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Laptop can’t see RBR750

Jjycby
Tutor

Laptop can’t see RBR750

One of my laptops doesn’t see the Wi-Fi provided by my Orbi router. Several other devices do see it and are operating fine. I may have disallowed the laptop to connect at one point by toggling it off on the Orbi app but now don’t see it at all on the app or on the laptop itself. I tried updating the Orbi firmware as well as the Wi-Fi card driver - no help.
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: Laptop can’t see RBR750

What wifi card is in the laptop? 

What driver version is on the wifi card? 

Message 2 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

Card is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260

Diver ver is 18.33.11.2

Thanks - sorry for slow response!

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

try updating the intel driver. They had issues with the 19 and lower versions. 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260

Message 4 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

Hi Plemans:

I updated to 21.10.1 and the laptop still doesnt see the Orbi.  When I first got the Orbi a few months ago, I recall seeing a device connected that I didn't recognize and I somehow clicked on it and disallowed it to connect - this was using the Orbi app.  Now I think the device I didn't recognize was actually my laptop and I've now managed to stop it from connecting.  Does this make any sense to you?  If my hunch is correct, how do I go back and reverse that setting?  I don't see any sign of it currently on the app.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

Navigate to: Advanced -> Security -> Access Control

At the very bottom of the page expand View list of blocked devices not currently connected to the network

Does the blocked device show up there? 

If the laptop can't see the ssid (name) broadcast at all, it usually isn't an issue of the router but of the wireless card. 

If it can see it but not connect to it, then it can potentially be the router

Message 6 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

Argh.  Unfortunately, the offending laptop was not listed as blocked.  The frustrating thing is that, if my memory serves me right, all was ok when I first installed the Orbi.  Do you thin a re-install of the Orbi might help?  Thanks for all your effort on this.

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

can the laptop see other networks? have you tried that>

Message 8 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

Yes. It can see other networks. Have not yet tried re-installing Orbi. Will do so and let you know.
Message 9 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

Re-installed Orbi - didn't help.  Noticed that the laptop in question is listed under "allowed devices that aren't connected".

Message 10 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

BTW the Orbi shows up in the list "manage known networks ". Tried forgetting it and adding it again but no change. 

Message 11 of 16
plemans
Guru

Is it able to see the guest network? 

Message 12 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

No.  Cant see guest.  I'm thinking of purchasing a usb network card as a work-around.  Should that work?

Message 13 of 16
plemans
Guru

You can always try it

Message 14 of 16
Jjycby
Tutor

Plemans:

I tried the usb card and it worked!!  Unfortunately the overall performance was poor but at least it let me know that the problem is with my internal card.  I'm now planning to replace the internal card with one that is AX compatible, specifically this one from New Egg: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-mpe-ax3000h-mini-pcie/p/0XM-00JK-00098

Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for all of your help.

jjycby

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

hope it works well for you!

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements