× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB Personal Cloud Port triggering not working!

Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB Personal Cloud Port triggering not working!

Hi,

I hope you are all well. I have a Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB. I have set the nas accordingly being able to access network shares ect, but cannot seem to connect externally using Personal Cloud. I have Virgin Media fibre optics which the supplied router is in modem mode and it is connected to a Netgear WNDR3700v4 where the Nas is connected using the supplied ethernet cable. Essentially I use Port Triggering as I have 2 Xbox Ones in the house, therefore is the only best way to get open Nas on both of them. i have opened all necessary ports 80,50500, 443 for Personal Cloud. If you look at the image below you can see that my service type/triggering port (50500) is my Nas port and the inbound connection is the ports I require open, but doing it this way does not seem to open the ports as shown on the Personal Cloud indicator as it shows x on router and I input this as was suggested by Lenovo Tech Support. The settings I had before what I just mentioned were as follows service type/triggering port (80) and the inbound connection is port 80. I had this the same for ports 50500 and 443 which showed on the Personal Cloud settings page as ports open. Now even though these said ports were open, when i try to access the personal cloud on my 4g data plan and also at work using the invite it does not connect and just shows connection timed out. Also when I do a port check online for my public address on port 80 it states that port is closed. Would appreciate any help on this.

Port Triggering.PNG

Kind regards,

Matt

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Lenovo Iomega IX2 4TB Personal Cloud Port triggering not working!

searay is right.  You should be using port forwarding, not port triggering, for Personal Cloud.  Port triggering works by opening inbound port(s) whenever an outbound port is accessed.  For gaming, this is fine because you initiate things from your XBox.  But see below for a concern.  For Personal Cloud, a remote user initiates the access but will this fail because the port will not have been triggered by an outbound access.

Based on my reading of the Personal Cloud setup documentation, it should only be necessary to open the Personal Cloud service port (in your case, 50500).  You should not need to open port 80, 443, 20 or 21 unless you want to provide remote http, https, ftp access, respectively, to your IOMega.  These ports do not appear to be required for Personal Cloud.  I don't own an IX2, so I could be mistaken.  Reference: How do I set up my router for Personal Cloud?

As for your Xboxes, are you really getting open NAT when using both of them simultaneously?  Just like port forwarding, port triggering only opens a port to one device at a time; port triggering differs by being able to do it dynamically.  But two Xboxes can't simultaneously use port 3074, for example.  You should consider using UPnP instead of port triggering for your Xboxes.  But, hey, if your current setup is working, then leave well enough alone.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Picture not approved yet so cant see it. My 3700 had porting problems, I got my NAS working by using port forwarding and using address resevations.

Message 2 of 8

Hi,

I have reserved the IP Address, but not outside my pool of IP addresses range. What porting issues were you having?

Kind regards,

Matt

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

address reservations Does Not have to be outside of DHCP pool.......... A static does.

HP MediasmartHomeserver

Ports, 80 443 1443 if I remember had to be forwarded, UPNP enabled, ports showed in the portmap table as PORTED, still had to Manually forward each port.

I had 2 WNDR3700V1 which I junked both 3 years ago Both had same porting problem. If you search far enough back in forum history my post about the problem can be found. My guess after 4 versions of same router they Never fixed it.

Message 4 of 8

Well the port triggering works on both my Xbox One's as they show an open NAT so surely my router does not have port triggering issues, although I could be entirely wrong.

Essentially I need somebody whom has had experience with port triggering to make sure that my rules are correct.

Kind regards,

Matt

Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not an expert on triggering, But open NAT might be a concern.......

It also appears triggering isn't working for your cloud I beleive it should be forwarding not triggering But Hey what do I know?

Good Luck

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

searay is right.  You should be using port forwarding, not port triggering, for Personal Cloud.  Port triggering works by opening inbound port(s) whenever an outbound port is accessed.  For gaming, this is fine because you initiate things from your XBox.  But see below for a concern.  For Personal Cloud, a remote user initiates the access but will this fail because the port will not have been triggered by an outbound access.

Based on my reading of the Personal Cloud setup documentation, it should only be necessary to open the Personal Cloud service port (in your case, 50500).  You should not need to open port 80, 443, 20 or 21 unless you want to provide remote http, https, ftp access, respectively, to your IOMega.  These ports do not appear to be required for Personal Cloud.  I don't own an IX2, so I could be mistaken.  Reference: How do I set up my router for Personal Cloud?

As for your Xboxes, are you really getting open NAT when using both of them simultaneously?  Just like port forwarding, port triggering only opens a port to one device at a time; port triggering differs by being able to do it dynamically.  But two Xboxes can't simultaneously use port 3074, for example.  You should consider using UPnP instead of port triggering for your Xboxes.  But, hey, if your current setup is working, then leave well enough alone.

Message 7 of 8

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help and support. I can confirm that Port forwarding now works and my Personal Cloud works accordingly. 🙂

Kind regards,

Matt

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7