× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Less than 100mbps on WNR2000v3

SuperTweaker
Aspirant

Less than 100mbps on WNR2000v3

My ISP has increased our speed from 105 to 150mbps down.  I plug my computer directly into the router and only get 95mbps.  When I plug directly into the modem I get 175mpbs, higher than the boosted service.

What can I do in the Netgear advanced settings to increase throughput speed to at least 150mbps?  I'm not concerend with the wireless aspect of this router.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Less than 100mbps on WNR2000v3

You need a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports (and WAN port), which would be many of the routers that followed the WNDR3700 (my first gigabit router). Personally I would recommend the R7000 but there are plenty of cheaper models that would serve your purposes, you just need to ‘Google’ ‘Netgear gigabit router’ and you should find plenty of options.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

All Ethernet ports of the WNR2000, including the WAN (Internet) port, are 10/100 capable only, so no data transfers that involve a wired connection to the router can exceed that rate.

Message 2 of 9
SuperTweaker
Aspirant

Thanks Babylon5,

In the same room are two desktop computers, both are plugged into the N300 router and get 95mpbs.  Two other devices, a Kindle Fire and a laptop use the secured wireless connection. Neither of those devices need more than 50mbps.

With the information above, what router would you recommend that has 10/300 in all four LAN Ports but is also a wireless router. I like Netgear and tried the N900. Only one Ethernet Port on that router allowed 175mbps. The other 3 are reduced by default. The wireless connection reached 40mbps which was fine.

Message 3 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need a router with Gigabit Ethernet ports (and WAN port), which would be many of the routers that followed the WNDR3700 (my first gigabit router). Personally I would recommend the R7000 but there are plenty of cheaper models that would serve your purposes, you just need to ‘Google’ ‘Netgear gigabit router’ and you should find plenty of options.

Message 4 of 9
SuperTweaker
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. BestBuy was having a sale on the N600 Combo Modem/Router.  Just got through setting up. I am now getting over 150mbps on both Ethernet Ports and 50mbps on the Wireless. Easy setup, just had to contact Comcast to register/activate the modem.

Thanks for your help. Kudos!

Message 5 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That’s great, what model number is that, C3700?

Message 6 of 9
SuperTweaker
Aspirant

@Babylon5 wrote:

That’s great, what model number is that, C3700?

Yes, C3700.  I have tweaked the older computers (32Bit) to give them optimized performance.  I then went to work on our Kindle Fire which can see both IPv4 and IPv5 wireless connections.  Below are the results of Comcast Speed Tests from the most modern W7 64 Bit Desktop Gaming PC. I double checked at speednet.net to make sure they are regiserting similar speeds - they are.  good price at Amazon right now

netgearN600-C3700-100NAS.jpg

Message 7 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@SuperTweaker That's a pretty impressive speed!

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
SuperTweaker
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

@SuperTweaker That's a pretty impressive speed!

Regards,

Yes, I consider myself very fortunate that Comcast bumped up the "Blast" package from 105 to 150Mbps.  The "Blast" package was just 50Mbps three years ago. So they boosted the download speed twice in 3 years without charging more money.  I guess they know the competition is coming soon in our area or something. Right now they have no real competition.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7