Highlighted
Aspirant

Limited Speeds over Usenet

Hello,

I apologize if the subject of this post is against the rules but I really didn't know of any better place to turn to for help than these very forums. So, if I may be blunt, I'll just state that my download speeds when using Usenet are being limited. I have a 28 megabits/second internet connection and when I'm watching youtube videos, browsing the web, or downloading files from any site or service you could fathom I am getting the full speeds I should. However when using Usenet I am lucky if I can get more than 4 megabits/second on the average.

Now how do I know the router is at fault? Well when I bypass the router and go straight from the modem to my desktop PC I get the full speeds I am entitled to.

I can tell you that I didn't change any settings with in the router that would have caused this (as far as I know) and in fact someone suggested I setup a QoS rule to give Usenet the highest priority but that made no difference (and I could see why I would have needed to do this as I never had to do this before). The ONLY thing I can fathom having done to the router recently was updating the firmware.

I know, the rule of thumb is that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well I was thinking and really just thought that, well usually, new firmware updates are a good thing. I haven't rolled back to the previous update yet as I wanted to check in on here first, plus I want to double check that I wouldn't cause any harm by installing a previous firmware update.

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I certainly hope so because something that would normally take 5 to 10 minutes to download now takes over an hour.
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Limited Speeds over Usenet

If rest of Internet access works then I don't think QoS would have help much

I'm quite sure exactly would be cause just usenet to have slow speed

Firmware changes up or down does not makes difference, I would suggest go poor firmware and see
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Luminary

First, make sure that you have properly changed the firmware. See signature, step 4. Second, If you have properly changed the firmware and the issue continues and since there is no reason for the router to restrict Usenet -- I would roll back to the previous firmware version and call it done.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You might try this first in Setup> Internet setup, select use PC mac address.

reverting to a earlier version will not hurt router. When you updated did you reset to defaults and enter your configs manually?
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Apologies for not replying sooner. It's just that a lot has happened over the past few days. Anyways... after doing some further testing I've now determined that the router is fine. So the issue either lies with my usenet provider (and changing servers didn't help) or my ISP (which I wouldn't be surprised if it was my ISP). Thank all for the help though.
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Luminary

Some ISPs, the not very good ones, have been known to throttle port 119. Check with your Usenet provider and find out if you can use a different port and see if that makes a difference. Also, downloading a lot of little bits instead of a constant stream will tend to slow things down.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements