Linking Two WNDR3400 Units

rwarner
Aspirant

Linking Two WNDR3400 Units

Hello,

I am attempting to get TWO WNDR3400 Range max routers linked together to boot a signal across a small town street. I have two units and have tried to use on as repeater and another as base. I am not having any success.

Do not really need to use the router functions as this will be needed to pass dchp from my server to another computer across the street. I will have to insure security is at max because it will pass entrypted credit card data.

environment, Windows 2003 server in a point of sale program.

Any help from people in the know would be very helpful. Thank you
Robert.
Message 1 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Linking Two WNDR3400 Units

If you use two WNDR3400s, you can only use WEP encryption. WEP is quite old and has proven to be totally hackable. Another issue is that your speed will be limited to 54 Mbps as well. Have a look at this recent thread:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=68786

It is clear then that what may serve your purpose best is one of the repeaters mentioned by jmizoguchi. These will not only allow you to use the highest available level of encryption (ie. WPA2-PSK[AES]), but also not limit you to 54 Mbps. 😉
Message 2 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

rwarner wrote:
Hello,

I am attempting to get TWO WNDR3400 Range max routers linked together to boot a signal across a small town street. I have two units and have tried to use on as repeater and another as base. I am not having any success.

Do not really need to use the router functions as this will be needed to pass dchp from my server to another computer across the street. I will have to insure security is at max because it will pass entrypted credit card data.

environment, Windows 2003 server in a point of sale program.

Any help from people in the know would be very helpful. Thank you
Robert.

If security is concernt than ditch repeating 100%

I would use WPA2 and use wn2000rpt /wn3000rpt extender
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 8
rwarner
Aspirant

Thank you,

I was thinking that since both units are N600 I would have the better range and speed. reliability and security are more import though. Will I be able to pass dchp from my server through the repeater? Since my Server will be dhcp server for the computers across the street ?
Message 4 of 8
Joe_
Apprentice

You will NOT get better range and speed if you are using two N600s. This has already been said in my first post.

In fact, the extender given by June is what will give the better range/speed and the best encryption.

There should be no reason why you should encounter DHCP problems once properly set up.
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Placing the repeater exact location where wifi devices can not get signal does not make any better. Repeat must be place better place so that two devices has good signal first then it can spread additional signal are remote area.

Repeat is only to repeat signal and does not control other traffic so any dhcp will pass as normal is the case.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 8
rwarner
Aspirant

I was not discounting your knowledge, simply explaining what my thought was when I bouther the two WNDR3400 units.

So I should Ditch one or both WNDR3400 units? and get the wn2000rpt /wn3000rpt. the distance is about 350/400 FT outside, direct line of sight.. I'll need one unit at the main server network and another across the street simply picking up the signal from the other unit..

Robert
Message 7 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if I were you I would do better setups

http://www.engeniustech.com/

put some directional antenna
http://www.engeniustech.com/index.php/business-networking/indoor-access-points-client-bridges/285-wi...

this far stronger and adding antenna may just reach well and do use extender. you may have more flexibility on placement
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements