Highlighted
Aspirant

Linking up networks from router and modem

Well, I don't know exactly how to go about doing this, but what I want to do is to allow devices connected to my internet modem and devices connected to my router to communicate with each other. I commonly transfer files over the network and I have my desktop, hooked up via ethrenet straight to my modem, but all my wifi enabled devices are connected to the router.

However, the IP of the modem is in a: 10.1.10.10:254 range while the router is in a 192.168.1.1:254 range.

How can I make it where the router can communicate with the modem in a way where I can enable things like file sharing over these two networks without having to wire into the router itself or losing internet on the router. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Linking up networks from router and modem

The easiest thing to do is to enable AP mode on the router.  All of devices behind the router will acquire new IP addresses from the modem.  Everything will be on the same IP subnet, so they can communicate with each.

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

Well I have a WNR2020 Netgear N300 router. Can this be configured as an access point?

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

It looks like you have to do this manually. Start off by logging into the modem and shrinking the range of IP addresses by 1 or 2 (for example, remove 10.10.10.254 and 10.10.10.253 from the pool of addresses managed by the modem).  Save your change.

Log into the router and go to ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup.  Change the router's LAN IP address to one of the two addresses above (10.10.10.253 or 10.10.10.254).  Turn off Use Router as DHCP Server.  Once you click Apply, you may lose the connection to the router from your computer.

Now, move the Ethernet cable from the router's Internet port and plug it into one the router's LAN ports.  This should complete the setup of the router as an AP.  You may reboot or disconnect/reconnect any devices connected to the router to force them to acquire new IP addresses.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements