× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Local Domain Routing

pmcvay
Follower

Local Domain Routing

When I view the attached devices for my netgear wireless router it shows the ip addresses and the device names. I can ping a computer on the network by the ip address but when I ping by device name it resolves to the wrong ip address. Is this name lookup performed by the router? If so, why is it resolving to a different ip address

Model: WNR1000v3|Wireless Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Local Domain Routing

It's very likely that a DNS query is occuring, and yes a Netgear router will forward the query to a real DNS server.  nslookup should give you more details.

If the device you are trying to ping is a Windows machine, then you can try appending \\ to the device name to access it (e.g. \\mypc).

If the device is a Mac, then appending .local may work (e.g. mypc.local).  This will utilize mDNS to perform a local query.  A Windows machine with either Bonjour or iTunes installed will also respond to mDNS queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Local Domain Routing

It's very likely that a DNS query is occuring, and yes a Netgear router will forward the query to a real DNS server.  nslookup should give you more details.

If the device you are trying to ping is a Windows machine, then you can try appending \\ to the device name to access it (e.g. \\mypc).

If the device is a Mac, then appending .local may work (e.g. mypc.local).  This will utilize mDNS to perform a local query.  A Windows machine with either Bonjour or iTunes installed will also respond to mDNS queries.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7