Local Transfer speed 4MB normal ?

jbfoster
Aspirant

Local Transfer speed 4MB normal ?

I have a USB drive connected to the USB port on my router. When I transfer a file from the USB drive to my laptop it says 4MB and 8 minutes for a 1.5GB file to copy.

I have a Synology NAS on my network also. When I transfer a file from the NAS to my laptop I get the same transfer speed of 4MB.

Is this normal speed for a transfer?

I read somewhere that I should select Wireless-N only on my router that if I allow wireless-G devices it will slow down the transfer speed. Not sure if this is true or not. I did not find any such setting in my router.

Thanks
Jim
Message 1 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Local Transfer speed 4MB normal ?

Read other thread with throughput issues.

You will not going to great deal of speed using USB port on router .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 8
jbfoster
Aspirant

FYI,

I was on this forum for 2 hours reading. Nothing I found answered my question That's why I made this posting.
Message 3 of 8
Devor
Luminary

On the WNDR3700 the 2.4 GHz radio supports the "b/g/n" protocols and the 5 GHz radio supports the "a/n" protocols. What radio and protocol can be used depends on the wireless capabilities of the connecting device. In this case, your laptop. Based on your post, your laptop is the central limiting factor.

A transfer rate of 4 MBps equals 32 Mbps, which is in the ballpark of the "g" protocol. The "g" protocol has a theoretical maximum data rate of 54 Mbps and is one stream capable. It's theoretical because in practice it's closer to half.

If your laptop used the "n" protocol, the theoretical maximum data rate is 150 Mbps per stream and has a maximum of 4 streams. The WNDR3700 is two stream capable on each radio and has a theoretical maximum of 300 Mbps per radio. Again, half under ideal conditions. BTW, this is why the WNDR3700 is called a N600 router ((150x2)+(150x2)=600).

In all cases, the data rate is further dependent upon distance from the router, objects between your laptop and the router, which radio (or band) is used, surrounding external traffic/noise, channel, etc. Also, the revision of the WNDR3700 (v1, v2, v3 or v4) can make a difference.

To answer your question, considering the way that your equipment is currently setup, it's normal. I base this on two things. One, using the "g" protocol. Two, transferring data from your NAS to your laptop is no better than the ReadyShare USB device transferring data to your laptop.

Aside from using a wired (LAN) connection, to improve things on your wireless (wLAN) you could use the "n" protocol, but that can only occur if your laptop's wireless card is "n" capable. What is the laptop model number?

I see June has replied to your initial posting while I was composing this reply. June is correct, you will not get a great deal of speed out of the USB port on the WNDR3700. In my opinion, ReadyShare is a gimmick and works, so-so. Your NAS is the way to go.

However, you can optimized the ReadyShare transfer rate somewhat by formatting the USB hard drive with Ext3 or FAT32, and staying away from NTFS. Keeping in mind each of their limitations, if you do opt for Ext3 or FAT32, don't expect tremendous speed increases from ReadyShare. Though, you might be able to double what it's doing now. But only, only if your laptop's wireless situation first improves.

Ramble, sleepy, good night all.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

jbfoster wrote:

I was on this forum for 2 hours reading. Nothing I found answered my question That's why I made this posting.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=42600&highlight=slow+transfer
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 8
jbfoster
Aspirant

The thread really didn't seam to answer my question. Looks like it's all about the USB drive/port on the router. I was trying to find out why my NAS is just as slow as the USB drive connected to the router.

Thought maybe I could find the best settings but I did not find anything. I must not be using the correct search term. T

Thanks for the help any way.

Jim
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Is NAS connect on gigabit?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
Devor
Luminary

jbfoster wrote:
I was trying to find out why my NAS is just as slow as the USB drive connected to the router.

See above.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E