Re: Looking to repurpose WNDR4500, will this work ok?

irritated_user
Aspirant

Looking to repurpose WNDR4500, will this work ok?

Hi,

I've got a Nighthawk X6 R8000 connected to a cable model.  On another floor I have a TiVo and another network device that I need to pull files off of (large files).  

I have a older Netgear range extender that works some / most of the time, but dog slow transfers.  

I can't connect that to my Nighthawk, so needs to be wireless solution.  

I've got an old WNDR 4500 sitting around, thought that might be able to be used as a range extender somehow, like the one I have there today, but (in theory) would be faster.  I saw some comments about this working | not working | being slower than expected because of options to connect it back to Nighthawk.  

Option # is a PowerLine adapter, but wanted to get feedback on repurposing the WNDR first, as it'd be free - definitely has the WAF box checked.  

Thanks,
Chris

Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

What's the model of your Netgear range extender?

The WNDR4500 won't work as a range extender but you could use it in this kind of set up:

R8000----[Wi-Fi]----Extender----[Ethernet]----WNDR4500 in AP Mode----[Wi-Fi]----TiVo

The idea is to place the extender closer to the R8000 and the WNDR4500 closer to the TiVo.

Message 2 of 4
BARNES
Apprentice

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR4500

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

DD-WRT in Wireless Bridge mode would do the trick...TIVO or DirecTV probably wouldn't even push an N connection...

Of coarse I'm assuming these devices on the other end have Ethernet connection...

Message 3 of 4
irritated_user
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll check that out.  

Yes, most of the time it's OK, but when I'm trying to do have two streams and / or my wife wants to stream something else to the TV, it starts to break down.  

Just figured it was work looking to repurpose the WNDR if it'd get me a bit better performance.  

Again, thanks,

Chris

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E