Lost DNS dynamic address from Comcast

samgrif
Follower

Lost DNS dynamic address from Comcast

I have the WNDR4500 on Comcast cable with a Motorola SB6120 modem. I have the 4500 hooked up and most times it works fine, but about once a week it loses it's ability to acquire the DNS IP addresses from Comcast dynamically. Sometimes a complete reboot for modem and router will correct, but for now I have hard coded the DNS addresses from Comcast and all seems well. Any issues reported with this?
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Lost DNS dynamic address from Comcast

report the issues with support at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 11
Stefan_H
Aspirant

I also have a problem with the router retaining the DNS server entries using DHCP.

I have the WNDR4500 (Firmware V1.0.0.58_1.0.13) connected to a Verizon FIOS Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D modem. My Verizon modem over the years worked like a charm and I never had any connectivity problems. I have about a dozen devices connected to the Internet ranging from Access Points, Bridges, XBox, Laptops, desktops, phones, media players, TV, DVR, you name it.

I've been tinkering with the router for the past week and determined even though in the admin screens it shows that it obtained the proper DNS servers within five minutes any connected device to the router no longer can resolve any IP addresses. I still can connected to sites and servers on the Internet with plain IP addresses, proving I'm still connected. I went so far to hard code the primary and secondary DNS server entries into the router avoiding to use DHCP, but the effect is still the same. My only solution thus far has been with any connected device to the router to go into local device TCP\IP configuration and instead relying on DHCP hard code the DNS servers manually into each device. Quite a pain as you probably realize, but with it works. This has to be a bug and hopefully gets resolved with a new Firmware release very soon. Reading through various forums, not just this site, I've seen many posts in regards to Internet connectivity issues and believe it has to be related to this.
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

please send bug report to support
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 11
Joe_
Apprentice

Stefan_H wrote:
I also have a problem with the router retaining the DNS server entries using DHCP...

...within five minutes any connected device to the router no longer can resolve any IP addresses. I still can connected to sites and servers on the Internet with plain IP addresses, proving I'm still connected.

...Reading through various forums, not just this site, I've seen many posts in regards to Internet connectivity issues and believe it has to be related to this.

I'm sure that users here are very appreciative of your input, however, did you open a case with Netgear and report your findings? Being only a user-to-user forum, you cannot rely on posting info here to help in resolving firmware issues.
Message 5 of 11
Stefan_H
Aspirant

OK. Was really debating whether I should make another post here or just leave things be. Have been quite turned off by the self-declared police of this board. Comments to contact Netgear support three times in the same post thread are ridiculous when it is well known that this is a “user to user” forum sharing their experiences with the product vs. filing a report with tech support that goes into a black void never to be publicly seen by other users with the same experience. So the purpose of this forum should be not to make these lame comments, but encourage to post both positive and negative experiences with the product, and see what others truly have to say about it. The other posts in this thread really appear like they are only meant to increase the number of postings of that person and with that contributing to their high ranking in this board.

Anyway, I have found a solution for my connectivity problem and want to make “samgrif” aware of this for him/her to try and see if it helps him/her and others. In short my router had no RIP version selected and was set to disabled. My setup has been running fine with that change now for the past 3 days.

After upgrading my router to the latest firmware V1.0.0.58_1.0.13 as mentioned in my previous post I also did a 30/30/30 reset, thus enforcing to use all original Netgear default settings. Then after doing all the usual configurations I added it to my network and encountered the symptoms described above. Now I discovered that RIP was disabled as a default setting on the router. RIP direction by default is set to “Both”, but the RIP Version is set to “Disabled”, thus not providing any RIP. That took me by surprise, since I initially always glanced over that setting not realizing based on that the router wouldn’t provide proper routing. As soon I picked the RIP Version “RIP_1”, which is enough for my setup, all my problems were gone. All my attached devices to the router now can retrieve via DHCP proper DNS settings from my ISP from the connected modem. Also my wireless video streaming problems not mentioned here before to my DAP-1522 are gone allowing me now smooth 1080p streaming. I encountered freeze ups that I previously thought were also caused by the router due to bad buffering. All is working very well now for the past 3 days after making the change.

Here is the only major change I made on the Netgear Genie front- end you get to as everyone knows on your network via http://routerlogin.net .

Advanced tab --> Setup --> LAN Setup --> RIP Version = RIP_1

I have RIP Direction set to “Both”

My Netgear router IP address starts with 10.0.0.1 since my ISP modem already uses 192.168.1.1 both with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

I believe Netgear should make the default setting “RIP_1” and that would remedy lots of user setup issues in regards to connectivity. Just my 2 cents.
Message 6 of 11
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

The only reason why someone should be pointed in the direction of Netgear Tech Support is if there is a suspicion that this has not been done and that contacting Tech Support may either help with the issue, or highlight the issue to Tech Support. Otherwise, you are quite right, as a user-to-user forum one of the main aims is for users to discuss issues and offer advice to each other. There’s also the fact that Tech Support will sometimes direct users to here in the first place.
Message 7 of 11
Rhyalus
Apprentice

I have never heard of RIP. I don't seem to be having any trouble yet I just checked and my setting is the default (disabled).

Can someone clarify why this is not an issue for me as far as I know?

Thanks,
R
Message 8 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Rhyalus wrote:
I have never heard of RIP. I don't seem to be having any trouble yet I just checked and my setting is the default (disabled).

Can someone clarify why this is not an issue for me as far as I know?

Thanks,
R

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing_Information_Protocol
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 11
Rhyalus
Apprentice

That is a good read - thanks.

I am still not sure why these comcast dudes need it and I do not? Maybe it is just based on the ISP and whether they need and use that protocol?

R
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Rhyalus wrote:
That is a good read - thanks.

I am still not sure why these comcast dudes need it and I do not? Maybe it is just based on the ISP and whether they need and use that protocol?

R

My Netgear router IP address starts with 10.0.0.1 since my ISP modem already uses 192.168.1.1 both with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Most cable modem has internal device IP. Dlink cable modem I used was using 192.168.100.x so would not have much issues but when netgear detects 192.168.1.x which is SAME lan subnet as the router's LAN then it automtically change the lan subnet to 10.0.0.x to prevent the conflict.

I have seen people had issues once setup the router normally and start to have connection problem with ISP.

one good trip is not to use default lan subnet will be less complicated while personally have not had issue with comcast using rip at all. I just changes to arris modem for phone pkg with my netgear prosecure utm25 and have not had issues at all.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements