× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Lost IP address (on Android Turbo phone) for WiFi connection

rocksterman
Aspirant

Lost IP address (on Android Turbo phone) for WiFi connection

I disconnected from my WiFi because my phone security app (McAfee) said that hackers were trying to intercept my data. When I tried to re-connect, I get a WiFi Connection Failure message. After some searching, I found that when I go to WiFi Setup (advanced) on my phone , it shows that the IP address is unavailable. My wife has an identical phone and this same screen on her phone shows the IP address. Her phone still has connection to our WiFi. I believe that the missing IP address is the problem but I cannot find how to update the IP address in the WiFi setup on the phone. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
rocksterman
Aspirant

Re: Lost IP address (on Android Turbo phone) for WiFi connection

I finally found the problem. McAfee security app had sent a message saying that hackers were trying to intercept my data & asked if I wanted to disconnect. I disconnected. What I came to discover was that McAfee, as a result of the warning, had set (on my Wi-Fi security settings) to always disconnect from my Wi-Fi (considering it a permanent threat I suppose). I removed the Wi-Fi from McAfee's "remembered Wi-Fi" list (thus getting rid of the disconnect setting) & then re- connected to the WiFi on my phone & the problem was solved.

View solution in original post

Model: AC1450|Gigabit Smart WiFi router
Message 3 of 4

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @rocksterman

Your phone should automatically get an IP address when you successfully connect to the wireless router.

Try to restart your phone and reconnect to the wireless network name.

Make sure that you have the correct wireless password.

Message 2 of 4
rocksterman
Aspirant

I finally found the problem. McAfee security app had sent a message saying that hackers were trying to intercept my data & asked if I wanted to disconnect. I disconnected. What I came to discover was that McAfee, as a result of the warning, had set (on my Wi-Fi security settings) to always disconnect from my Wi-Fi (considering it a permanent threat I suppose). I removed the Wi-Fi from McAfee's "remembered Wi-Fi" list (thus getting rid of the disconnect setting) & then re- connected to the WiFi on my phone & the problem was solved.
Model: AC1450|Gigabit Smart WiFi router
Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad you were able to sort it out.

Thank you for the update!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos