Re: Lost Internet Connection Issues with 3800

JerryW
Aspirant

jtimmyf wrote:
I just purchased my WNDR3800 a couple of day sago and am having the dropped connection problem reported here. Mine looses internet & local connection each morning. I assume it occurs during sometime early morning because it works till 12:00am each evening. In the morning I have to power cycle it to get it working. I'm on ver .18 firmware. Anyone have ideas for me to try?

What helped me, FOR NOW!:

First, update to the .19 beta firmware, then change your speed setting to 'Up to 54Mbps' for the 2.4ghz wireless. This will stop the loss of connection. The 5ghz band is not affected and should run fine without dropped connections.
Message 76 of 201
POKWANG
Aspirant

@jtimmyf

my suggestion is ...read the entire forum!
Message 77 of 201
Joe_
Apprentice

Searching the forums is in the Forum Rules and Policies: http://forum1.netgear.com/announcement.php?f=120
It is a fundamental rule of just about every help forum on the 'net. Smiley Wink
Message 78 of 201
JimL
Aspirant

Just wanted folks to know, the issue has proven very elusive and difficult to track down. I've been in contact with NetGear Technical support for some time now, and based on what I've been informed of; it is a difficult issue at best.

A couple of bright spots; though - reproduction of the issue is occurring more readily, although (as with the consumer) it remains of random occurrance. While this may not seem like much; my impression is that prvious corrective actions were based on the extensive knowledge of NetGear's excellent technicians (perhaps addressing components of the issue without reaching the root cause).

Either way; I have confidence in their ability to arrive at a final solution. It was reported earlier in this thread, that a potential firmware update would be available as a general release. As of this date, I have not found one; and I have a suspicion of why - those reasons stated above.

Presently, I have a good experinece with those I've been in contact with, and I certainly know they are working at their best pace in ferretting out the root cause and getting a correction to the market at their best possible speed.

- Jim
Message 79 of 201
bjhelton
Aspirant

I have been in contact with the Level 2 techs and they escalated it up to the level 3 and I got a response last night from them the lead product engineer.

Same thing as previous post they think they have been able to reproduce the issue in the lab and they asked me several questions to make sure what they are seeing is the same as what I get.

I sent my repsonse last night and lets hope they get to root cause. It's nice to know they are working hard to find resolution.
Message 80 of 201
JGR
Novice
Novice

It's gone a little quiet here, would someone like to comment on the progress with debugging this issue. Inquiring minds would like to connect at greater than 54Mb/s
Thanks.
Message 81 of 201
bjhelton
Aspirant

Haven't heard back from Netgear on this yet.
Message 82 of 201
bjhelton
Aspirant

New update: I got an E-mail from the engineers. They are working hard to get this resolved and hope to have a beta firmware for testing by Thurs 10/20/2011.
Message 83 of 201
mbrownug
Aspirant

I'm having the 2.4 drop issues with everyone else. Running firmware 1.0.0.19DNS. The really bad thing is I upgraded from a working 3700. I remember how long it took that firmware stable. I hope this is not the case here.

Would the 4500 been a better choice? I know it does not have some features like ReadySHARE and ClearChannel, but at this point I need something that works.

Maybe I will just go back to my 3700?
Message 84 of 201
MRWaynesWorld
Aspirant

bjhelton wrote:
New update: I got an E-mail from the engineers. They are working hard to get this resolved and hope to have a beta firmware for testing by Thurs 10/20/2011.

Any word on the new firmware.....
Message 85 of 201
bjhelton
Aspirant

I got a new firmware for testing today and have it installed on my router. Lets hope this is the fix.
Message 86 of 201
sngbrdb
Aspirant

I just installed my 3800 today for the first time... the firmware upgrade available was 1.0.0.24. Bit of a rough install, didn't seem to want to take, ran it through a couple of times, but it's up and running. Haven't had much chance to use it and test it out yet.

So sounds like maybe your wait is over? :cool:
Message 87 of 201
PawelPabich
Aspirant

Can you post an update in couple of days?
Message 88 of 201
waiting485
Aspirant

I applied the latest version 1.0.0.24 (router prompted me for an upgrade).

Earlier I would get drop connection on 2.4GHz after about an hour of connection.

So far after the upgrade I am close to 3 hrs connected to my 2.4GHz wireless connection and no drop in the connection yet.
Message 89 of 201
JGR
Novice
Novice

Stability appears to be much improved with firmware 1.0.0.24, although it has only been a 24 hours so far. Connection speeds still seem to be lower than I expect though. I changed settings from 'up to 54Mb/s' where I was connecting at 54Mb/s, to 'up to 130Mb/s' and it appears to max out at 72Mb/s. Changing the setting to 'up to 300Mb/s' max's out at 150Mb/s. I'll need to see if I can improve those but the computers are almost next to the router.

One other strange side-effect is a 'ghost' wireless client. I have my Android Nexus One connected with the correctly allocated DHCP address, but there is a 'ghost' random IP address to the same MAC address. I have no clue what could cause that.

Anyway, fingers crossed that we are moving in the right direction but there seem to be a few gremlins in the firmware to find.
Message 90 of 201
JerryW
Aspirant

Wished I could say I had the same result as waiting485. I got home this afternoon, installed the update via the router's update link, set the 2.4ghz wireless from 'Up to 54mbps' to 'up to 300mbs' and then to 'Up to 130mbs', and ALL devices lost connectivity within an hour. 2 iPhone 4S phones, 2 HTC Inspire android phones, and Apple MacBook Pro (Changed to used 5ghz now).

Before writing this reply I reset to factory settings and then added my wireless configuration back.

So, the problem still exists for me.
Message 91 of 201
Joe_
Apprentice

JerryW wrote:
Before writing this reply I reset to factory settings and then added my wireless configuration back.

Meaning what:
(a) You reverted to the former firmware.
(b) You left the .24 firmware.
If you kept the .24 firmware and did a factory reset, did you mean you are still having the same problems after the reset?
Message 92 of 201
waiting485
Aspirant

It is more than 13 hrs now, no dropped connection on any of my devices yet, all of them are currently connected to the 2.4GHz Network (mode is upto 300 Mbps), I have 2 iphones (3GS and 4GS), ipad 2 and ipod, also a lenevo W500 laptop.

I will leave my PC on overnight to see if there is any issue.
Message 93 of 201
mbrownug
Aspirant

Install .24 this morning. After install I moved my 2.4 back up to 300mpbs. Started noticing drop issue when about 2 hours. All 2.4 connected device looked like they were connected, but no internet. Try to reconnect those 2.4 devices they would not reconnect. Had to refresh my wireless setting by not changing anything, but just clicking the apply icon in the Netgear Genie config app. I then moved it down to 130mpbs (same results), now have it back at 54mpbs. Been stable for about 2 hours.

It looks to me .24 did not fix the Lost Internet Connection/Can't connect to 2.4 radio without recycling the setting or rebooting router. My 5Mhz connections seem fine when the 2.4 is locked up.

I have around 23 devices hooked to the 3800. 15 of them are 2.4 the rest are 5Mhz

This is disappointing. Thinking of just putting back in my WNDR3700?

I love the feature of the 3800, but I need a stable 2.4 environment.

Any thoughts or suggestion are welcome?

Thanks,

Mike
Message 94 of 201
Joe_
Apprentice

The issue apparently has not been fixed in .24 - see the penultimate paragraph of this thread.
Message 95 of 201
mbrownug
Aspirant

Joe_ wrote:
The issue apparently has not been fixed in .24 - see the penultimate paragraph of this thread.
Thanks for the info, Joe_
Message 96 of 201
tombt11
Aspirant

I have been through all the same exercises that most people describe here. Meaning .16, .19beta an finally yesterday .24. It continues to give the same problems of lost 2.4ghz connections. Netgear has now asked me to return my router and I will receive a new one in RMA within next 3-4 days.
Message 97 of 201
N_Da_Game
Novice

Rolling back firmware - .24 is more unstable than the other releases.
Message 98 of 201
MRWaynesWorld
Aspirant

I just upgraded to the .24 level of code this morning. I did have the occational drops on the 2.4 band. Now I'll see if I have the same issues as everyone else...
Message 99 of 201
miata
Aspirant

Also upgraded to the new firmware.
Unfortunately connections are still dropping at 2,4 Ghz if 300 Mb is switched on.
The network is still in the air, however, inSIDDer shows a rapid switching in signal strength and 1 or 2 channel operation.
Issue has not been solved with this firmware.
This is my 2nd WNDR3800, 1st one has been replaced under warranty.
Switched back to 54 Mb max.
Message 100 of 201
Top Contributors
Announcements