× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MB8600 not connecting to internet via Netgear AC1750 router

xazzu
Aspirant

MB8600 not connecting to internet via Netgear AC1750 router

Hey all - been fiddling with this all day to no avail, and had to go back to my old set up until I can get it figured out.

Current modem from Spectrum through the router works fine, no issues and all internet works.

Switch to the new router, the MB8600, via Spectrum website and it works fine hardwired to the PC. Try to plug in via the router and no internet. The "troubleshoot" error says the modem isn't working.

Went back to the original modem and no issues. No cables were moved off of the router and all connections were checked.

What am I missing? It has to be something dumb.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: MB8600 not connecting to internet via Netgear AC1750 router

@xazzu wrote:

Switch to the new router, the MB8600, via Spectrum website and it works fine hardwired to the PC. Try to plug in via the router and no internet. The "troubleshoot" error says the modem isn't working.

I'm confused. The MB8600 seems to be a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.

It isn't involved in "connecting to internet via Netgear AC1750 router". It works the other way round.

It bis important to think about things on the right way.

"Netgear AC1750 router not connecting to internet via MB8600"

The router connects to the internet through the MB8600.

You have got the modem to connect, so you might benefit from preparing the R6300V2 router to work with a new router.

During the setup process, routers sense what is going on on the modem side and create their settings accordingly. You need to get your router to forget that it was once connected through a different modem.

So reset the router and take the network through the usual setup process.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What model NG router do you have? R####? 

Message 2 of 8
xazzu
Aspirant

It's a R6300V2.

UPDATE: I tried everything again today, using the clone MAC on the router. Started up modem, waited. Router, waited. PC, no connection until "troubleshooting" and it reset the ethernet adapter. Now internet (hardwired through the router).

However, I'm getting no wifi on our cell phones, but am on my work laptops. Should I clone the MAC address of wifi as well?

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try that I guess but I don't think you should have too. 

Have you factory reset the router and setup from scratch, while powering OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute, then back ON. Then walk thru the setup wizard on the NG router with a wired PC and web browser? 

Message 4 of 8

@xazzu wrote:

I'm confused. The MB8600 seems to be a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.

It isn't involved in "connecting to internet via Netgear AC1750 router". It works the other way round.

It bis important to think about things on the right way.

"Netgear AC1750 router not connecting to internet via MB8600"

The router connects to the internet through the MB8600.

You have got the modem to connect, so you might benefit from preparing the R6300V2 router to work with a new router.

During the setup process, routers sense what is going on on the modem side and create their settings accordingly. You need to get your router to forget that it was once connected through a different modem.

So reset the router and take the network through the usual setup process.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 5 of 8
xazzu
Aspirant

Thanks for the clarification, I am indeed backwards in my wording.

And now after it seems the upteenth restart and removing MAC cloning, all seems to be well with the internet world for all systems.

Appreciate everyone's help!

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 8

@xazzu wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, I am indeed backwards in my wording.

No problem. It can be confusing when you try to fix the wrong bit of the chain.

While the suggestion that you create a backup copy of your router's configuration is sensible, you have to be careful how you use it.

For example, in your case restoring the settings from the router setup for the old modem doesn't make sense when you want to use the router with the new modem. You could end up back where you started, with a broken router.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7