× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Make a bridge on R6120

astaib
Aspirant

Make a bridge on R6120

Hi there,

Thank you in advance for your help.
I consulted the topics that could have helped me but because of my lack of knowledge, i haven’t been also to solve my problem. so I ask you to speak to me as a layman of the settings 🙂 .

I have to move my R6120 and need it to be where my TV decoder is, but when I plug my R6120 into the RJ 45 that comes from the box (the internet box is in another room quite far away and with very thick walls) and I connect my TV decoder to one of the R6120's RJ45 outputs, it does not work.
After reading some subjects, I read that it was necessary to either pass the R6120 as an access point, which I did but it still does not work. Or else I read that I had to configure one of the R6120's RJ45 ports as a "bridge".
I arrived in the menu of the R6120 where it was necessary but it asks me to enter information that I do not know.
What information should be entered to configure a bridge on RJ45 port N°1 for example?
My Internet box is an SFR BOX PLUS (nb6vac-fxc-r1) and my SFR 4K HD TV decoder (dec fix stb7 sagcm).

I specify that apart from the use for my TV decoder my R6120 works very well for wifi or ethernet for a laptop.

Thank you very much for your help.
Message 1 of 16

Re: Make a bridge on R6120

@astaib wrote:

I have to move my R6120 and need it to be where my TV decoder is, but when I plug my R6120 into the RJ 45 that comes from the box (the internet box is in another room quite far away and with very thick walls) and I connect my TV decoder to one of the R6120's RJ45 outputs, it does not work.

Does this mean that your R6120 is not connected to the "internet box"?

What is this internet box? Make and model?

What sort of Internet connection do you have? The most common is with a cable to the outside world that feeds into a modem at your end. That feeds your router.

Your router must have an Internet connection to work. If the only way to connect is through the Internet box, then it won't work without that connection.

After reading some subjects, I read that it was necessary to either pass the R6120 as an access point, which I did but it still does not work. Or else I read that I had to configure one of the R6120's RJ45 ports as a "bridge".

An access point needs a wired connection from modem (Internet box) to router.

The "bridge" word can mean various things, depending on the device. For a router this can be a "wireless bridge" between two wifi devices. That usually refers to two routers or a modem/router and a router.

Not all routers can work as a wireless bridge. I see no sign that the R6120 has that feature. It is a pretty basic device near the bottom of Netgear's range. It has a slow Ethernet connection. At 100 Mbps it is slower than many Internet services. If you speed is supposed to be faster than that, you are wasting money.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help.

A description of my installation is:
-Internet from the grid via optical fiber to the internet box NB6VAC-FXC-r1.
-3 port of the box are used with Ethernet cable to printer, computer…
-1 port is linked with a long Ethernet cable to another part of the house where my “problem” is.
-the long Ethernet cable comes to the netgear.
-the wifi of the netgear is working fine pour phone, laptop…
-The Ethernet port of the netgear are working well for laptop, but not for the tv box (this box is provided with the internet box described before from my internet provider).

Please note that when I plug the long Ethernet cable directly to the tv box it is working.

The red of the tv box is DEC FIX STB7.

Thank you
Message 3 of 16

@astaib wrote:
A description of my installation is:
-Internet from the grid via optical fiber to the internet box NB6VAC-FXC-r1.
-3 port of the box are used with Ethernet cable to printer, computer…
-1 port is linked with a long Ethernet cable to another part of the house where my “problem” is.
-the long Ethernet cable comes to the netgear.

This suggests that you have a router sitting in front of a router.

Google seems to agree with that because the NB6VAC-FXC-r1 take me to a pic with four ethernet ports on the back. Does it also do wifi?

If I am right, you have two routers in the network. That's a recipe for chaos.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The simplest solution would be to put the R6120 into wireless access point mode. (Look it up in the manual.) Then plug the connection from the WAN port on the R6120 into the NB6VAC.

That leaves the NB6VAC-FXC-r1 to handle the router side of things. The R6120 can then handle anything you connect to the other LAN ports, like the TV, and the wifi from the Netgear.

Be warned, though, that the R6120 is slow. Cable Internet should be a lot faster than 100 Mbps. That won't matter for the TV, but the wifi will not be as fast as it might be.

The good thing there is that the Ethernet ports on the NB6VAC will almost certainly be 1000 Mbps. So your PCs and other  things won't get slowed down by the R6120.

Message 4 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you very much for that.
Yes the NB6VAC-FXC-r1 has 4 Ethernet and wifi, but the wifi is not passing through the walls to be visible where the netgear is.
I tried doing AP but it didn’t work, maybe I made something wrong. I will try again tomorrow because I’m not at home anymore.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Arnaud.
Message 5 of 16

@astaib wrote:
I tried doing AP but it didn’t work....

What happened when you did it? The timing is important.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

When I did it, the signal was still not coming to the box (unable to see the tv)

Arnaud
Message 7 of 16

@astaib wrote:
When I did it, the signal was still not coming to the box (unable to see the tv)

Arnaud

The TV is wired to the R6120?

You change the network when you put the R6120 into AP mode. Did you rerun the network setup process on your TV?

Message 8 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

Hi,

You mean set up the tv box ?

I cannot remember, but I will try this.
Message 9 of 16

@astaib wrote:
Hi,

You mean set up the tv box ?

I cannot remember, but I will try this.

What is this box?

Message 10 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

The “box” is the tv decoder (dec fix stb7 sagcm).
Message 11 of 16

Looks like a standard set top box.

When you set it up with the R6120, it will have taken its settings from the router. If the R6120 is in AP mode, it is not in control of the traffic. The box needs to have settings that are linked back to the "new" router.

Does everything else work as expected in AP mode?

Message 12 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

Hello!

I just make a bridge on port #1 and it works !
I think that yesterday I have made a VLAN instead of a bridge by mistake (as these 2 options are in the same menu).

Thank you again for your help.

Arnaud.
Message 13 of 16

@astaib wrote:

I just make a bridge on port #1 and it works !

How did you do that?

What do you mean by "a bridge"?

There is no control that I can see for individual LAN ports.

Message 14 of 16
astaib
Aspirant

Hi,

In advanced / advances setup / VLAN bridge settings.

Page 102 of the manual.

Arnaud.
Message 15 of 16

Aha. Got it. That sort of bridge.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements