Re: Media Server Won't Recognize All Files

Media Server Won't Recognize All Files

The media server on my WNDR4500 will not recognize all the files on my attached external hard drive. Is there a limit to how many files it can scan/store? It doesn't seem like its a specific folder it can't see, just that theres a limit on how many files it can actually see.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solution? FYI, I also tried the beta firmware, same problem.
Message 1 of 14
onebyside
Novice

I have my Qnap nas plugged in the 4500, 5/1.tb drives...I can see all of the data. Maybe only certain brands can be recognized completely.
Message 2 of 14

I have a WD 2 TB external hard drive hooked up. It's odd, because I have many, many more music files than video files, and the media server finds and indexes all of those without problem. Its just the video files, it seems to index one or two folders worth, then stop. And if I create a network share with only a couple of my video folders, it'll recognize the files, no matter what two folders I pick. But when I put them all in (either as one network share or multiple), it only recognizes approx 10%. Through the network share, I can see the whole hard drive... this seems like a media server problem, and its driving me crazy.
Message 3 of 14
onebyside
Novice

I guess I should clarify my setup, I use xbmc as a front end for my xvid/x264/dvdr/app/ebook/mp3 folders.
Message 4 of 14

Has anyone else gotten the media server to recognize all of their files?
Message 5 of 14
billshih1975
Aspirant

what's your video files format?
are they the same?
besides, in your video folder, is it pure video files or include some other file (like *.txt)?
Message 6 of 14

Videos are in both mpg and wmv. Videos are spread throughout many subdirectories within my "video" folder, and some have other files (such as .txt, iso files). Having other types of files, or video files in different formats, shouldn't make a difference I wouldn't think, perhaps there's a bug in the firmware? Also, I'm not sure why/if it would matter how many subdirectories my video files are spread across.
Message 7 of 14
billshih1975
Aspirant

when a hard disk plug into 4500, it needs some time to do parsing and indexing the content. it looks like 4500 can't recognize some files in your hard disk, so the indexing just stop..
Message 8 of 14

billshih1975 wrote:
when a hard disk plug into 4500, it needs some time to do parsing and indexing the content. it looks like 4500 can't recognize some files in your hard disk, so the indexing just stop..

Could be, thanks for that idea. I'll have to play around with that when I have time, and see if I can identify that as the problem. I would expect it to just ignore files it doesn't recognize though, maybe that is a bug in the firmware.
Message 9 of 14
rasasak
Novice

Which files are exactly reconized ?

Can I play movie with external subtitles (srt,sub) and internal (mkv)with this DLNA ?
Message 10 of 14

brandonsmiller wrote:
Could be, thanks for that idea. I'll have to play around with that when I have time, and see if I can identify that as the problem. I would expect it to just ignore files it doesn't recognize though, maybe that is a bug in the firmware.

I've played around and finally figured out the problem- when the media server on board the router was scanning the folders with open "read" access, it just stopped every time it encountered an AVI file. I moved all of my AVI files to a different folder, and voila, it recognized all of my other video, music, and picture files.

Also, interesting to note, is that these folders also contain a plethora of other file types, such as .nrg, .iso, .db, .txt, and the media server simply ignored those files and continued.
Message 11 of 14

rasasak wrote:
Which files are exactly reconized ?

Can I play movie with external subtitles (srt,sub) and internal (mkv)with this DLNA ?

As far as video files, it has recognized .WMV, .MPG, .MPEG, and .MP4 video files, .MP3 sound files, and pretty much every picture format for me. Only thing I have had problems with are AVI. I'm not sure about subtitles.
Message 12 of 14
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Brandon,

Please report this to netgear. I don't use the media streaming, but they need to know about the bug.

Great that you figured it out...

R
Message 13 of 14
oskingen
Aspirant

rasasak wrote:

Can someone answer this question.. I also have some mkv 720p files but they do not appear on my xbox. subtitles .srt never worked.

all other extensions are ok.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements