× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mobile devices keeps losing wifi connection

Reith
Apprentice

Mobile devices keeps losing wifi connection

I currently have a Orbi router RBR50 Model. I have been rebooting the router for the last week. Because my tablets and cell phones keeps losing wifi.
But any devices directly connected to a satellite via Ethernet still streams.
What could be causing this??

I have had this device since 2018
Thank you in advance
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
cnichols915
Tutor

Re: Mobile devices keeps losing wifi connection

Me too - After applying the firmware update to v2.6.2.104 - our cell phones (1 Samsung and multiple iphones), stopped connecting.  However, our Rokus stay connected.  have to reboot the router 3 times daily to reconnect phones.  Anybody have a fix for this or having similar issues with the firmware?

Message 2 of 17
DanMar85
Tutor

I also am having the same problem.  A couple times a day we have to go in and reboot the Orbi to restore connectivity to our Wi-Fi devices.   If we have a device that is currently streaming, it usually continues to stream, but other devices drop connectivity.

This is also on firmware version 2.6.2.104

Message 3 of 17
Froo
Tutor

Me too! Router and satellites are not even 2.5 years old. Could it have something to do with the time change?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 17
Reith
Apprentice

Go into NTP settings. change DST from Netgear to manual and type time.nist.gov This should resolve the wifi lose issue. Give it 12-24 hours to see if it works and repost here your status. Thank you Have a nice day
Message 5 of 17
cnichols915
Tutor

Okay, dumb question, where do I find NTP settings...

Message 6 of 17
Reith
Apprentice

See attached PDF screenshot
Message 7 of 17
cnichols915
Tutor

Thanks for the screenshots @Reith  - I'me input time.nist.gov - does this require a reboot after I click apply to the settings

@Reith wrote:
Go into NTP settings. change DST from Netgear to manual and type time.nist.gov This should resolve the wifi lose issue. Give it 12-24 hours to see if it works and repost here your status. Thank you Have a nice day

Message 8 of 17
Froo
Tutor

Unfortunately I'm still having the problem. I should clarify that my actual problem is the reverse of the one in the subject line on this thread. I lose connection to the wifi on most of my computers but seem to keep it on my phones. This is still happening three times a day: before 6AM, ~7PM, ~10PM

Message 9 of 17
Reith
Apprentice

No reboot needed after applying settings
Message 10 of 17
Reith
Apprentice

Did you go into the NTP setting and change the DST? Also have you checked and see if there is a new firmware to update?
Message 11 of 17
Froo
Tutor

No firmware update and I did change the NTP.

Message 12 of 17
DanMar85
Tutor

I made the NTP change 2 days ago ...with some noticable success - only 1 reboot needed to resolve the connectivity issue.   As of 2 days ago, I was running the most recent firmware.

Thanks for the reply ... here is hoping the next update eliminates the problem fully.

Message 13 of 17
cnichols915
Tutor

I applied the recommended fixes, with the nist.gov website & We have not had to reboot since.
Message 14 of 17
Froo
Tutor

I've not had to reboot for over 24 hours. Fingers crossed the NTP settings change did the trick!

Message 15 of 17
DanMar85
Tutor

Since posting my last response 5 days ago, we have still had to complete at least daily restarts to our Orbi, as the problem has persisted for us.   

This morning I received an email from Netgear that un updated firmware was available --- however, when I attempt to check it via the admin console, I am told there are no updates available.   Still running firmware version V2.6.2.104 on both the router and the satellite.    Has anybody else received this notice, and seen an update?

Message 16 of 17
DanMar85
Tutor

We continue to have sporadic issues ... been doing some digging when it occurs, and it appears that our router, while still appearing to be connected to the internet (via Comcast), is actually losing DNS resolution capabilities.  When this occurs, I can ping individual IP addresses on the internet, such as 8.8.8.8, but I cannot ping dns.google.com, which is equivalent to the IP address.   No other named pings are successful:  yahoo.com, netgear.com, etc.

I use OpenDNS for our DNS services --- and have tried a small change to the settings.   I had previously blocked the "Proxy/Anonymizer" category, but have now turned that off.   Will continue to monitor and see if this continues.    Sure would be nice to have this resolved.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7