Model 3700

giilll
Aspirant

Model 3700

INSTALL ISSUES replacing Comcast router modem with Netgear one.  I think I got the product working, although it took me HOURS.  All I'm trying to do now is post-diagnose, and thereby learn from the experience.  I followed all instructions from Comcast, to the letter, and got the product activated right away.  Totally wired home network seemed to be working but, when i tried to print, got error msg saying printer "offline."  I recycled the printer and it printed one item and then said "offline" again.  Recycled it again and began getting error messages including the following:  "not connected to Internet," "invalid IP configuration," "cable not plugged in or broken," "router failed," "no network accessible (or something similar to that)... and more.  Tried disconnecting modem from the Gigabit switch (which adds ethernet ports) and the printer worked.  Finally I disconnected everything from the subject modem router, power chord Comcast cable and ethernet cable out.

I was about to give up and return the product, but decided to hook it all up and try again.

And, when I got it all assembled again, IT WORKED PERFECTLY.  I had internet access, the printer works from both PCs.  Everything.

Again -- whenever I solve a computer related issue, I always try to figure out where I went wrong.  And danged if I can think of anything, so I have conflicting THEORIES about it.  One is that Comcast's system got "confused," or the router modem got confused, or my printer client got confused... and then, when I disconnected everything and started over from scratch, everything went as it was supposed to.

No complaints, folks.  Looks as though I'm going to love this product.  Am just interested in any theory (or clear understanding) of what I might learn, to save time if run into this kind of can of worms in future.

Message 1 of 3

Re: Model 3700

What is the model number involved here? There is no "3700".

Is that the C3700 cable modem?

If so, cable modems are picky beasts that have more interaction with the Internet service provider than other technologies. You may have to "phone home" and tell them that you have changed the modem.

Did you manage to track down the manual? If my guess is right, find it here:

>>>> C3700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

You talk about the rest of the network. Maybe you have another router somewhere on there. In which case you need to configure the cable modem properly. See page 11.

That's just a guess. Beyond the gigabit switch, you haven't said much about the rest of the network.

Remember, when setting up a network with new kit, you have to restart the whole lot in the right way.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
giilll
Aspirant

Re: Model 3700

Got it!.  The first time I tried to install the subject item, I plugged everything into the Lynksys gigabit ethernet switch and plugged that into the subject item.

Second time WHICH WORKED PERFECTLY, I loaded one by one.

wrote:

What is the model number involved here? There is no "3700".

Is that the C3700 cable modem?

If so, cable modems are picky beasts that have more interaction with the Internet service provider than other technologies. You may have to "phone home" and tell them that you have changed the modem.

Did you manage to track down the manual? If my guess is right, find it here:

>>>> C3700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

You talk about the rest of the network. Maybe you have another router somewhere on there. In which case you need to configure the cable modem properly. See page 11.

That's just a guess. Beyond the gigabit switch, you haven't said much about the rest of the network.

Remember, when setting up a network with new kit, you have to restart the whole lot in the right way.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E