Model R6100 Wifi Router won't allow wifi access

Rosscos
Aspirant

Model R6100 Wifi Router won't allow wifi access

I bought this router early spring and all of my laptops and tablets can access wifi connection but one laptop. This laptop will access other wireless conenctions (work, etc) but has never worked with this router since I bought it. I have called customer service with no answers to the problem. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do? Thank You Teresa

Message 1 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Model R6100 Wifi Router won't allow wifi access

The most likely option in the router settings that may prevent a laptop connecting is the Wireless Access List, but since you have many devices able to connect I would guess that you don’t have that enabled (default off)?

Otherwise the symptoms you describe are more likely to be caused by the laptop settings e.g. the laptop may be set for a static IP address; this should be set to automatic. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings#1TC=windows-7

Does your laptop detect your wireless network in a scan?

Rosscos
Aspirant

I tried to look at all of the setting again. Here are a few screen shots maybe I am missing something? Thank You

connection details.JPGnetwork connection details.JPG

sharing.JPGwifi properties.JPG

wifi status.JPGwifi properties 2.JPG

version 4.JPG

version 6.JPG

not connected.JPG

diagnosis.JPG

diagnosis.JPG

Message 3 of 9
Rosscos
Aspirant

another screen shot

default gateway.JPG

Message 4 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That first screenshot shows that your WiFi adaptor has successfully associated with the router and has obtained IP data. The WiFi Status screenshot however shows 134 packets sent but none received. It seems to me that something may be blocking incoming traffic, a firewall perhaps? Do you have any firewall software running on the computer, and can you temporarily disable it?

If you go to a Command Prompt and type Ping 192.168.1.1 do you see any responses?

Rosscos
Aspirant

Is this what I need to be looking for?

firewall settings.JPG

security.JPG

Message 6 of 9
Rosscos
Aspirant

firewall.JPG

Message 7 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have your network set as ‘Guest or public’, you might be better off changing that to ‘Private’; https://tinkertry.com/how-to-change-windows-10-network-type-from-public-to-private
Rosscos
Aspirant

I just thought I'd let you know that my problem is finally fixed. None of the above suggestions did they trick. I did some searching and saw where several were having problems connecting using Windows 8. I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and BINGO - It now has conenction to Netgear!?!?!? Thank You!

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E