× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model R6350 Download speed less than half of what provider provides, how to correct?

dhcountry
Follower

Model R6350 Download speed less than half of what provider provides, how to correct?

I have 100 mps download speed from internet service from my provider.  They have confirmed that speed is being delivered to my modem (Arris SB6183).  When I run a speed test on the router using the NightHawk app v2.11.0.11 it shows 41 to 42 mps download speed.  Firmware on router is 1.1.0.84.  What can I do to the router to increase the download speed?  I am a home user.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

Message 1 of 3

Re: Model R6350 Download speed less than half of what provider provides, how to correct?

@dhcountry wrote:

They have confirmed that speed is being delivered to my modem (Arris SB6183).  When I run a speed test on the router using the NightHawk app v2.11.0.11 it shows 41 to 42 mps download speed. 

Have you run a speedtest that leaves the R6350 out of the equation? Directly from the  modem?

The app uses wifi. Testing over wifi is not reliable. Your wifi client gets in the way. Maybe it can't go faster than 42 Mbps.

Have you run a test with a wired connection into the browser and outside the Nighthawk app?

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Model R6350 Download speed less than half of what provider provides, how to correct?

The app uses wifi. Testing over wifi is not reliable. Your wifi client gets in the way. Maybe it can't go faster than 42 Mbps.

I thought if you tested off the nighthawk app, it hosted the test on the router? That was my undestanding of it. 

But the OP didn't post quite enough details. 

1. what firmware is on the router? 

2. what speeds does a pc/laptop get hardwired into the modem

3. what speeds do you get hardwired into the router with a pc/laptop? (using speedtest site)

4. what speeds do you get over 5ghz? (and what device did you test on)

5. what speeds do you get over 2.4gh (again, device tested on)

Don't use the nighthawk app for testing as there isn't enough controls in it. If it chooses a poor server to test off, its not going to be accurate. Download the speedtest app to your wireless devices and use the speedtest site on your desktop/pcs. Also, try different servers when testing with it. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7