Re: Motorola SB6121 Cable Modem, Netgear WNDR3700v1, and Amber Power Light

dalef
Tutor

Motorola SB6121 Cable Modem, Netgear WNDR3700v1, and Amber Power Light

I replaced a Motorola SB5101 (DOCSIS 2) cable modem with a Motorola SB6121 (DOCSIS 3) cable modem, in order to obtain faster transfer speeds with Comcast. After connecting and powering on the Motorola SB6121 cable modem and waiting for it to sync up with Comcast's head end, I then powered on the Netgear WNDR3700v1 router. The router booted up, as normal, except the power light did NOT turn green after a few minutes. It remained a solid amber (orange) color.

However, the router appeared to work normally and I was able to successfully access the Internet, despite the power light not turning green. I power-cycled both the cable modem and router several times, powering on the cable modem first and the router second, and the result was the same: The power light remained amber and did not turn green.

As a test, I powered on the router first. After about a minute, the router's power light turned green, as it was supposed to do. Next, I powered on the cable modem. When the cable modem fully initialized, I was able to access the Internet without a problem. The power light on the router remained a solid green, as normal.

The Netgear WNDR3700v1 is running the newest firmware, version 1.0.16.98.

With my old Motorola SB5101 cable modem, I was able to power on the cable modem first, the router second, and have the power light on the router turn green after about a minute.

My Internet connection is working properly, so this anomaly is not a major concern. However, has anyone else experienced this issue with the power light remaining amber when using a Netgear WNDR3700v1 router with a Motorola SB6121 cable modem? Is the router now supposed to be powered on before the cable modem?
Message 1 of 2
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Motorola SB6121 Cable Modem, Netgear WNDR3700v1, and Amber Power Light

there is similar thread on this with router ... read up moreSmiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 2