× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Multiple home networks

Engineersaab
Aspirant

Multiple home networks

I bought a dual band range extender planning to hook the home security system cameras up to the 5G network and leave it up 24/7, while leaving the kids phone on 2G, and restricting hours of operation. Wouldn’t you know that the cameras are not 5G compatible. And neither is the kids phone!
Is there a router or something out there that would receive the 5G signal and then rebroadcast it on a new, secure 2G network?
Model: R6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
WHOA
Guide

@Engineersaab wrote:
I bought a dual band range extender planning to hook the home security system cameras up to the 5G network and leave it up 24/7, while leaving the kids phone on 2G, and restricting hours of operation.

Since they'll only work on the 2.4G, why not put both the cameras and phones on that band, but then block the phones by schedule (instead of turning that band off during certain hours).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
WHOA
Guide

@Engineersaab wrote:
I bought a dual band range extender planning to hook the home security system cameras up to the 5G network and leave it up 24/7, while leaving the kids phone on 2G, and restricting hours of operation.

Since they'll only work on the 2.4G, why not put both the cameras and phones on that band, but then block the phones by schedule (instead of turning that band off during certain hours).

Message 2 of 8

Good thinking @WHOA, but check that this unnamed range extender supports this setup.

I have seen reports here of range extenders not having the same "parental control" features on many routers.

Might help if we knew the model of the range extender.

There is a manual for the R6200v2 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R6200v2 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Message 3 of 8
Engineersaab
Aspirant

How can I block the phones without blocking the cameras?  I can schedule service hours on the Xyxel router provided by CenturyLink, but I'm not aware of the ability to do that on the AC1200 Range Extender.  If I block out certain hours on the Xyxel, it naturally blocks the range extender out at the same time, since the AC1200 gets its info from the Xyxel.  The Xyxel is frustrating in several ways.  For one, when scheduling the hours for WiFi availability, you designate the hours NOT to permit service.  But when scheduling availability of Internet to devices that are hard wired into it, you designate the hours TO permit service.  I'll have to see if I can do that for devices that are linked to it via WiFi as well as those that are cabled in, like the PS4 and the Desktop computer.

Message 4 of 8
Engineersaab
Aspirant

It is an AC1200 Range Extender.

Message 5 of 8
Engineersaab
Aspirant

More precisely, it is a Model EX6200 AC1200 Range Extender

Message 6 of 8
Engineersaab
Aspirant

I found the user manual online and it looks like this range extender does have the ability to block certain devices at certain times.  The data needed about each device in order to set this up is a little above my pay grade, but I may be able to figure it out eventually.  Thanks for keeping me pointed in the right direction.

Message 7 of 8

@Engineersaab wrote:

I found the user manual online and it looks like this range extender does have the ability to block certain devices at certain times. 

Range extenders, like routers in AP mode, seem to miss many features that you get with a full-blown router mode.

Maybe it is because that whole idea of routers is that they are there to manage everything on a network. So it won't work to have competing controllers.

So a useful feature would be to have the ability for a router to tell an extender to block wifi on a particular device at specified times.

But is that necessary? If the router can block the wifi client's access to the internet, then the extender will not let the wifi client get around it.

Tell the router to block devices on a schedule. The access point won't be able to let the devices penetrate the router's defences.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7